Top speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a heavily modified Raptor but haven't gone over 115 for a very short amount of time. I tend to worry about my tires blowing since the speed rating on offroad tires is only 95. A blow out on a truck at high speed is not something I am willing to risk.

Speed ratings aren't instant or momentary. To be rated at a certain speed, a tire has to be able to hold that speed, under load, for an extended period of time.

Per Tire Rack:

"Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met."

Do not take this to mean I am in favor of extended high power runs or top speed blasts in Raptors. I have one of the more powerful trucks on the forum and I don't know its terminal velocity, nor do I ever intend to find out.

Just thought you should know speed ratings aren't what most people seem to think they are.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truckzor, I agree with you. The speed rating isn't the instant, however I am not willing to find out what the limit is on my truck. If someone else wants to find out, good luck to them. Getting to 90 or 100 very quickly is enough in my Raptor. If I want speed I will drive one of my other cars that are built for it.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'd be far more worried about bump steer and scrub from less than perfect ackerman on a truck with collars/modified suspension angles than the tires.

a little bit of a wiggle when your COG is 12" off the ground, vs the same wiggle when your COG is 36" off the ground is VERY VERY different.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting to 90 or 100 very quickly is enough in my Raptor.

This is exactly my view. There's really no upside to ripping around at triple digit speeds in a Raptor. These trucks are too hard to change directions or stop at those speeds. Just not worth the risk.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The KO2’s have an S speed rating which puts them at 112 mph.

Which we all of course know means that tires can run 112 MPH fully loaded all day long under the hottest possible weather conditions.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

It’s a performance truck...

Race truck.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

There's really no upside to ripping around at triple digit speeds in a Raptor.

You get where you are going in less time?

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd be far more worried about bump steer and scrub from less than perfect ackerman on a truck with collars/modified suspension angles than the tires.

a little bit of a wiggle when your COG is 12" off the ground, vs the same wiggle when your COG is 36" off the ground is VERY VERY different.

That would be the next thing on mine. However, we recently rebuilt the suspension, still waiting on my new coil overs. The truck is very stable now after we got everything set. At 90 I can hold the wheel with one finger no wobble. As for the steering now it is very responsive with very little roll when driving around idiots on the road. The new rear has zero wheel hop with the power I am putting down. I am happy with it now. It drives better now than when it was stock.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s a performance truck...
"off road" performance truck.

Loose surfaces are a lot more forgiving when going at high speeds in a truck with 35" tires.

On pavement the smallest movement can upset a lot of things. On loose surfaces, it's just gonna move the surface under the tires.