P144C code help please! (Solved thanks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davez134

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I posted this a few days ago in the general discussion section, but I think it may be seen more here...

I have a 2017. In December I installed Garrett Powermax turbos and AMS inlet tubes with the larger silicon adapters. I also have an AFE intake which was already on the truck. I transferred the white beveled insert tube that came with that kit to the AMS inlet tubes already. Since December, I keep getting a P144C code (Purge performance under boost) I bought a new OEM purge valve assembly and a new canister/vent valve without testing anything as the truck has close to 100K on it and chalked it up to preventative maintenance. Code still came back. I smoke tested and cannot see leaks anywhere, including the fuel filler "cap." From researching it seems like its related to what I keep seeing called the evap ejector, the T fitting coming from the top most connection of the driver side inlet tube. One connection goes to the tube before the throttle body and the other to the evap purge assembly. My guess is that under boost the purge valve vents back into the intake tube thats creating a vacuum because it cant vent to the other side thats under boost pressure. Am I on the right track? And, if so, has anyone else ran into this issue with aftermarket intake tubes and found a solution? The truck is running strong, no issues there. I just need to pass smog to get it registered. Thanks for looking and let me know if you need any more information!

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Thanks for looking and for the reply, I already have the white beveled tube installed. Ive had it in there for a few years since I put my AFE intake on. I transferred it to the AMS inlet tubes, and made sure the bevel was facing the right way. Went so fas as to stick my inspection camera down there to make sure it didn't move. I've tried all the obvious stuff before even considering posting.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the ejector valve is part of the driver’s side CAC tube, I would access/remove it and inspect the connection ports for a casting flash restriction or damage. The slightest issue with the ejector will cause that DTC.

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Thank you, I was suspecting that part was the problem. I will remove and inspect when I get home. I noticed on the aftermarket ones, the T piece that comes off at a 90 seems like it is threaded on. I'll check it out to make sure its not blocked.

mtnghost

Reaction score
What the previous posters have said, the evap system is very sensitive to anything changing the Venturi effect caused by the ejector tube. The larger tubes could have caused a pressure difference that changed the amount of suction created by the Venturi. If you have the stock intake try installing that and seeing if it helps, as it’s much less work than replacing the turbo tubes. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
I reached out last week to see if I could get a replacement evap ejector since I thought I narrowed it down to that. It just arrived. I'm going to install it and see if thats the fix. It looks different looking through the inside and the opening is a bit larger. Maybe the design was updated? Seems like double the flow going through just by blowing through each one. Anyways I'll post the results in a while.

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
I installed the new evap ejector on Friday. At the time I had a pending code and a permanent code (both P144C) Now I just have a permanent code, the pending one went away. Im hoping this is fixed now. Does anyone know if the permanent one will go away as well after the correct drive cycles? Or do I need to reset the KAM? Edit: just answered my own question. All codes are gone. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed the new evap ejector on Friday. At the time I had a pending code and a permanent code (both P144C) Now I just have a permanent code, the pending one went away. Im hoping this is fixed now. Does anyone know if the permanent one will go away as well after the correct drive cycles? Or do I need to reset the KAM? Edit: just answered my own question. All codes are gone. Thanks for the help.
Awesome! Yes, permanent DTCs are “do not diagnose”; they clear once the module runs the appropriate tests and they pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter