To go E85 or Bigger Turbos or Both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Shanahan

Reaction score
Ok, first of all I researched on this forum and everywhere!

I'm looking at upgrading my 2020 Raptor to E85 - seems I need a HPFP and a Tune. Most places are saying either the HPFP or new Fuel Injectors but sounds like the HPFP is the best bet. Anything else might be needed? In Tank Fuel Pump, etc?

I'm also looking at upgrading the Turbos. Full Race is a out of my budget but looks like CR Performance has a good happy medium.

Does anyone know more details or has had positive/negative experiences going E85 and / or upgrading turbos?

Will the stock Transmission, other parts support the E85 and/or Turbo upgrades?

Thanks for all the advice and opinions!

Also, FYI - looks like Brew City Boost has some good setups and options and were very helpful on the phone. I spoke with MPT, Brew City, ZRF Racing and Livernois. All say very slightly different things.

OP
OP
Ryan Shanahan

Ryan Shanahan

Reaction score
Go with the bigger turbos.

Thanks! Not going to lie, I like the performance the E85 'could' offer but am a little weary on the stock internals. My Raptor is not a daily driver so I'm not 100% sure on how E85 does when just sitting in the tank for a few weeks or so.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! Not going to lie, I like the performance the E85 'could' offer but am a little weary on the stock internals. My Raptor is not a daily driver so I'm not 100% sure on how E85 does when just sitting in the tank for a few weeks or so.

I havent heard of a lot of the HO motors cooking, but I don't think many are pushing it either.

Maybe try **** injection as an in-between? I ran **** on my STI and was pretty happy with it. How is E85 availability around you?

OP
OP
Ryan Shanahan

Ryan Shanahan

Reaction score
I havent heard of a lot of the HO motors cooking, but I don't think many are pushing it either.

Maybe try **** injection as an in-between? I ran **** on my STI and was pretty happy with it. How is E85 availability around you?

Good point...doing my research now (on MPT as I type) on ****. E85 is pretty available around Washington, D.C. However, most places are E50 - E83 so a tune would need to account for that and I assume I'd need another gauge / ethanol reader.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course you would need easy access to methanol as well.

I ran 80/20 mix with VP methanol.

The nice thing about Methanol is it is an on demand system, so you only use it when it is triggered at a certain boost level.

I don't want to mislead you though as I cant really speak on **** on these motors as I havent run it myself on the HO motor.

Personally I would go with **** over E85, but I drive a lot.

Johnfaeglasgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Methanol is very corrosive, and doesn’t like sitting in a tank very long once mixed. We use them on airplane racing engines and have to drain and flush the system after every heat. Amazing gains though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Ryan Shanahan

Ryan Shanahan

Reaction score
Methanol is very corrosive, and doesn’t like sitting in a tank very long once mixed. We use them on airplane racing engines and have to drain and flush the system after every heat. Amazing gains though

Thanks! That is what I'm reading....mine is not a daily driver. If not just gunning it around town or on the beach - I'll mainly only put 10 miles a day on average. So that's why I'm a little cautious on **** and E85.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yeah, pure ****, thats why you water it down to 50/50 or 80/20