Think I lost a turbo. Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left work the other day and noticed a loud whine sound coming from drivers side engine bay, under load, along with a loss of power and no boost showing on the gauge. I believe one of my turbos has died. No smoke and still runs fine under light throttle. Looking back last week I had used the truck on a long road trip and noticed the truck was slightly low on power (but still making boost) and getting a couple MPG worse than expected. Looking back over the last 3 years I've had a light whine or whirl sound from the engine that initially was after cold start but eventually is was present more often than not. This had been attributed to the design of the transmission. Now im wondering if I've had a turbo dying a slow death. Truck is in a local shop and I should get word soon. Also going to have the cam phasers done since those have been making noise for a year now.

I'm wondering if this would be a good time to consider upgrading the turbos and bump up the power. Are there some worthwhile upgrades that arent drastically more expensive than stock? I'd love to get another 100hp out of this fat pig. Or is it an expensive rabbit hole thats going to create a time bomb?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you have the intercooler for it and a conservative tune, you can do just fine with bigger hair dryers. Resist the temptation to go nuts on the torque or you’ll fry the 10r80.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the plumbing for loose or blown tubes. There still could be a crack or hole that I didn't see.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Any time boost is involved its a big fat rabbit hole. in my early days of chasing 400hp out of a FWD GTI i learned a thing or two, upgrade this well now you need more fuel, well now you are running too hot well now your injectors cant keep up etc.

200.gif

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time boost is involved its a big fat rabbit hole. in my early days of chasing 400hp out of a FWD GTI i learned a thing or two, upgrade this well now you need more fuel, well now you are running too hot well now your injectors cant keep up etc.

View attachment 426123
Yeah I'm backing off the mod bug now; getting scared of what the minimum repair bill is already going to be. I'm trying to get a business going and wouldn't want to jeopardize that. So here I'm waiting to see what their diagnosois will be. Crossing fingers hoping its a hose or tube that I didn't see in my 10min self check.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the quote to fix everything. They say the drivers side turbo needs replacement. Good sense returned to me and I put away thoughts about upgrading. Honestly there isnt much that can make me like the 3.5 Ecoboost, so I dont wanna keep dropping money on it. Gonna proceed with the stock turbo replacement to get back on the road; and thinking about putting off the cam phasers job until later.

phill0027

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the quote to fix everything. They say the drivers side turbo needs replacement. Good sense returned to me and I put away thoughts about upgrading. Honestly there isnt much that can make me like the 3.5 Ecoboost, so I dont wanna keep dropping money on it. Gonna proceed with the stock turbo replacement to get back on the road; and thinking about putting off the cam phasers job until later.
Look at Pure turbos ..... direction I would go for sure vs. replace stock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter