Think I lost a turbo. Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I got the turbo replaced along with the cam phasers and water pump etc...mechanic notices the truck still isn't running right. Closer inspection revealed that the other turbo is damaged too; specifically the turbo inlet fins are bent. FML

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
D@mn. how the AF did you lunch 2 hair dryers ...

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D@mn. how the AF did you lunch 2 hair dryers ...
Dont really know. I do my own oil changes at 5k and faithfully monitor the level in between. One theory is that I lost one turbo a while back, without noticing, and the other turbo has been working overtime since. Another theory is that with those cam phasers banging around for the last 10 months perhaps there has been fine debris getting past the filter? I've also had a leaky water pump for a while but always monitor and top off the coolant level.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you let your Air filter get dirty? plugged up? You will overspeed turbo because of it . (Like putting your hand over a vacuum cleaner it speeds up) . Stock tune probably not likely unless it was really dirty . If your tuned with a plugged air filter wouldn't take long to smoke the Turbos , if you were pushing the truck hard .

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the stock tune, and service my air filter once a year...which is about 15,000 miles. In between that interval, usually after hunting season when I've been hitting the ranch roads more often, I'll clean the filter by knocking the contaminates loose and then spray it with compressed air inside out. I've never questioned myself if thats good enough.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont really know. I do my own oil changes at 5k and faithfully monitor the level in between. One theory is that I lost one turbo a while back, without noticing, and the other turbo has been working overtime since. Another theory is that with those cam phasers banging around for the last 10 months perhaps there has been fine debris getting past the filter? I've also had a leaky water pump for a while but always monitor and top off the coolant level.
So did the impellers on both turbos contact the housing? Or were the impellers damaged due to foreign debris/over speed? If both bearings failed, that’s a clear indication of a lubrication issue. As far as cam phasers, they do not release metal into the oil when the locking mechanism fails, they simply make noise.

If the bearings were fine (misdiagnosis is common - turbo journal bearings normally have play when they’re not pressurized by oil) and only the impellers were damaged, that indicates ingestion of foreign debris or turbo over speed. Either way, root cause of the failure needs to be determined or the new turbos will meet the same fate. Also make sure your mechanic changed the oil filters in the turbo feed lines, that’s a common cause of repeat failure after replacement.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife thinks I'm working the truck too hard but I've always dismissed it. I load it down regularly with ice chests, camping gear, and corn sacks and go out to the ranch about 4.5 hours away. I have a little 6x8 utility trailer that I've loaded down and pulled a few times. When I pull the little trailer I notice via the boost gauge that my turbos are working hard and gas mileage sucks. Even with the trailer empty I still only get about 10mpg. I attributed this to the trailers loading ramp being up; although it is mesh. I know I'm pushing the suspension, but now wondering if I'm working the powertrain too hard.