The (Totally Un)Official "Cheap Tweaks" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the duct tape svt vent mod falls under this category!

Oh yeah that too

20ab47c7-0ab0-40cc.jpg

20ab47c7-0ada-dddd.jpg

Thanks Maxx

No problem. I will try to get part numbers for the reflectors tomorrow.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think we just about covered everything cheap...

Naaaa, not even close.

The first mod I did was to elmininate the factory radio whip and replace it with a 17-inch model that won't get hung up on the garage door every time I pull in or out. Can't provide a link, unfortunately. I found it at an O'Reilly's Auto parts Store. Not expensive at all, no degradation in RF signal to the radio, and better looking to my eye than the Craven stubby.

Next were the mud flaps. The width of the tires guarantees that you'll have road or trail crap sprayed all over the side of the truck. I found some cool slotted ones at O'Reilly's for 50% off. They're very effective.

Then I took the factory tail pipes off, primered them with high-temp primer, and then finished them with two coats of high-temp black matte. Cured them in the oven per the instructions (a three-step process), and they look terrific. See photo.

Next came fog lights. I was pretty disappointed in Ford that the 2011 model can't be had with fog lights - not even as an option. (For Pete's sake, you can get fog lights on anything now!) I found a pair at Auto Zone that I thought looked cool. For a lens they have a 1-inch diameter round glass rod. They're a fair fog light, and not expensive in the slightest. I use them for bright marker lights every morning when there isn't enough light to run without lights on but it's too bright to run headlights. Photo attached. The inboard ones are the ones I've described above. The outboard fog lights are Pilot fog lights special ordered with some difficulty from Advance Auto.

One time I was under the hood immediately after having driven the truck and I noticed that the intake tube from the airbox to the throttle body was hot to the touch. Well, go figure - it's right on top of the engine! So I insulated it. You can get silvered high-temp wrap from Auto Zone for around $25. It's not for exhaust use and perfect for this application. One package does the job. Photo.

Attachments

• Tail Pipes.jpg
    Tail Pipes.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Raptor Fog Lights.jpg
    Raptor Fog Lights.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Thermo-Shield.jpg
    Thermo-Shield.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a stubby antenna, I've literally scrapped the paint off of the overhang from pulling in and out of the garage.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might have to do the same thing if the national springs end up rubbing the exhaust like the deavers do.
If you think you might anyway, ya maybe just want to go for it. Install of the frame support as well as the leaf on that side is a whole lot easier with those pipes gone.

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you spend upwards of $50k on a truck, can you consider $200 cheap? If so, that's what is costs for adjusting the front shocks to the middle perch including the alignment.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need a stubby antenna, I've literally scrapped the paint off of the overhang from pulling in and out of the garage.

That's an easy fix. I took mine and cut it. Pop the ball off the end (place a pair of wire strippers over the end with the antenna in one of the slots and close them. Get a good grip and pop the ball off. (make sure not to lose the ball cause it will fly off). Cut of what you need with some bolt cutters. Then put the ball back on. There is a predrilled hole in bottom of ball to secure back on antenna.

Paint black cause you're going to scratch the shit out of it trying to get that ball off but trust me, it comes off

Cost:? FREE! Didn't hit the garage door till I did the perch adjustment. Now have to do it again. ;)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.080170,-92.494122