The (Totally Un)Official "Cheap Tweaks" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres one I did recently that was cheap but I like it. I did it to my '92 F-150 bumper in high school. Held up well and my plan was that if I ever scrape up my skid plate I can just repaint it. That is until I get a new aftermarket bumper. I wasnt able to find other screws to put in that I could paint as well yet so its kind of an eyesore but still overall very happy with how it turned out. The wife said to do the bumpers as well and I might in the future.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 80
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 74
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 75

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Heres one I did recently that was cheap but I like it. I did it to my '92 F-150 bumper in high school. Held up well and my plan was that if I ever scrape up my skid plate I can just repaint it. That is until I get a new aftermarket bumper. I wasnt able to find other screws to put in that I could paint as well yet so its kind of an eyesore but still overall very happy with how it turned out. The wife said to do the bumpers as well and I might in the future.

What is the texture of that product? It looks like it's not super rough like the usual truck bed spray. I'm looking to do something with my flares and bumpers and this looks like it would be the satin black color that I'm looking for, but would be a lot more durable than plastidip!

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is the texture of that product? It looks like it's not super rough like the usual truck bed spray. I'm looking to do something with my flares and bumpers and this looks like it would be the satin black color that I'm looking for, but would be a lot more durable than plastidip!

I did the exact same thing with my skid plate. I picked up some of the truck bed coating at auto zone. It's a very light texture. Enough that you can feel it but not really tell. Someone used a brand called u-pol I believe for the wheel wells and it looked like a thicker texture. The stuff I bought is flat but I hit it with a coat of flat black anyway.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This stuff is definitely flat black. It's called bed armor. I would spray something like your lower skid plate to decide for yourself but I really like it. And just like stated above it's just enough texture to tell that there is a texture and not just a flat black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Make sure you allow very ample time to dry, like do this in the middle of the Texas summer. I'm in San Diego right now and I was chasing the sun all day and I still don't think it was quite dry enough. Whereas when I did it in AZ in high school that shit dried well. The can says 15-20min between coats. I would be conservative with 30min and do at least 4 coats unless you are doing it in 100+heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I'm going for that satin look and want something as durable as possible for the trails with as little texture as possible.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this Bed Armor is gonna fit well with your look then...Heres a link to better show the can. They apparently make it in cans to do your entire bed. I like the rattle can and for the little jobs, its all you need. Plus most part stores (auto zone, pep boys etc... carry it)

Bed Armor - Welcome