Subtle Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tm2525ai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now being told the cause is the underbody skid plate. I'll keep you all posted.
Well, there is one very fast way to confirm that, take it off, takes all of ten minutes, then drive it a bit.

I have doubts, as I watched the videos early in this thread where someone moved the drive axles back and forth causing very loud clunking, sure looked like that was the cause and they said their dealer also confirmed it.
Then again, searching google, it looks like every F-150 for the last ten years has had similar issues and my Gen1 always clunked loudly going slow over bumps.

OP
OP
R

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there is one very fast way to confirm that, take it off, takes all of ten minutes, then drive it a bit.

I have doubts, as I watched the videos early in this thread where someone moved the drive axles back and forth causing very loud clunking, sure looked like that was the cause and they said their dealer also confirmed it.
Then again, searching google, it looks like every F-150 for the last ten years has had similar issues and my Gen1 always clunked loudly going slow over bumps.
exactly what I told them, taking it off tomorrow...

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 20 platinum and 21 king ranch as loaners. They were dead silent. Every R I’ve had 14,18,19 and 21 have rattled. The 19 went away. The 21 is the worst

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe mine has the clunk too (i only have 200 miles). seems worse with lower temps and it doesnt give me the loose skid plate vibe (had that on a previous vehicle). there doesnt seem to be consensus on this yet--has anyone successfully remedied this yet?

Ryan33

Reaction score
Dealer says backordered shocks for replacement until middle of February for me. Already replaced rear shocks with NO improvement so they are going to try the front ones now. The cold definitely seems to make the rattle/vibration worse.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recall the times I took mine in. The said that’s how they sound ‍♂️ I expect the same if I take the 21 in

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep waiting for the 100% fix and it’s driving me nuts. Mine is going back in Friday for another look and the recall. They replaced rear shocks to no avail. Told them about someone replacing the front struts and said it was fixed will see. I’m expecting no actions taken lol

OP
OP
R

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got my truck back, the skid plate was not the issue. chassis ears did not pin point anything. I'm thinking about throwing down 3700 to replace the front shocks.