stress crack in front diff housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmsotx

Reaction score
I had this happen on my Gen 1. Was told that welding it was not worth it either. Picked up a donor differential from LKQ and took it to Twisted Axle in San Antonio. He put my gears back in, replaced bearings, installed a drain plug and serviced my rear end. Was about $1400 + $200 for the donor front diff

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup this is exactly what happened to me, except my fracture happened at the mount. It broke, so I bought a used 2.7 eco boost diff off ebay (same year model and less miles than my current truck had). I then paid a shop to swap internals (torsen/410s) and also completely uninstall and reinstall it back in the truck. I also had to buy a new driveshaft as that got chewed up when the diff mount failed. All in 1800 bucks vs 4000 bucks using the dealer. The dealer refused to cover it under the power train warranty.

taco_drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for a data point, a buddy's front diff grenaded last winter while driving on a snowy road in 4wd. The truck had ~5k miles on it. Replacement of the housing etc was covered by Ford and took them ~100 days from initial inspection to him getting the truck back.

Last edited:

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for a data point, a buddy's front diff grenaded last winter while driving on a snowy road in 4wd. The truck had ~5k miles on it. Replacement of the housing etc was covered by Ford and took them ~100 days from initial inspection to him getting the truck back.
Yeah I think my local dealers real reason for not wanting to cover it was all the parts were back ordered indefinitely when it happened. The dealer isn't going to be buying used stuff off Ebay. I figure they slapped a 4K price on it to scare me away, I recon they didn't want to handle it even if I had paid them. Oddly enough they were totally fine covering it under warranty if I had shredded the internals, but the housings were very hard if not impossible to find new.

OP
OP
downforce137

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMG-20231118-WA0001.jpeg

as you can see, a lot of fracturing going on inside...no idea if this all happened at once, over time but clearly an engineering defect.

truck has 66k, and at most 15k in 4WD..

20231119_175426.jpg
not really sure about this carrier bearing.. it was about half like this.. maybe the tweaked housing was causing some weird bearing pressure things going on, outer race did not have anything like this going on.. this is the ring side, same side as cracks..

theres no cracks or weird stuff on the other side bearings..

deflection of the ring gear in the housing, probably in reverse causes the ring gear to deflect from the pinion, and the soft, under-engineered housing allows this to happen... maybe a few times before a leak develops or the whole thing snaps in half like my other post..
IMG-20231118-WA0000.jpeg

20231119_210342.jpg

ready to go back in..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I hope the repair takes and you’re done with the problem.

OP
OP
downforce137

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More drama.. nice diff cover hits the steering rack pretty good but not anymore......

Looked at some of the other covers that have been used and seem to fit, not one had a gusset in this area.. lol

20231123_194621.jpg20231123_194623.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter