stress crack in front diff housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this developed over the weekend at silver lake sand dunes. must have been dripping on the highway drive home in 2WD of course..

i know a few have had this issue over the years, and im also out of the powertrain warranty, not that id really expect it to be covered.. so weighing options..

1. new axle housing is around $400+seals, shim kit and crush washer, reuse all bearings, R&R this diff, and swap internals into a new housing

2. used ebay housing, haven't really looked but assume a raptor diff is $500-$1000

3. try having the crack welded by some pros at repairing damaged motorcycle engine cases.

4. ? any other ideas?

seems like it needs some more support in the form of gussets or some kind of wrap around brace to support the middle area of the entire housing

20230913_123930.jpg20230913_123937.jpg20230913_124020.jpg

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far out of powertrain warranty are you? Might be worth a call to customer care to see if they can help you out. Might be the cheapest and easiest route. Ford should eat something like that.

OP
OP
downforce137

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How far out of powertrain warranty are you? Might be worth a call to customer care to see if they can help you out. Might be the cheapest and easiest route. Ford should eat something like that.
5 years in service date at the end of this month and 65k miles

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, that doesn’t look to Baja capable. I’ve got a guy who works for me that could probably weld that. It’ll take some prep. Maybe it was just a bad casting that finally cracked. Guess you could try some JB Weld to start, that stuff is pretty good.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should find a local friendly dealer... if it exists...

or as others have said. weld it!

OP
OP
downforce137

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you should find a local friendly dealer... if it exists...

or as others have said. weld it!

Don't have one around here.. they see an intercooler and shock reservoirs and don't want to do anything, i don't really expect them to be any help..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter