Strange missing or skip on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red01Z06

Reaction score
When cruising at around 60-70mph on highway and you give a slight gas it seems to miss. If you give a good push, it is ok. It does it only when low RPM high gear cruse.
2012 SCREW with 143,000 miles on it.

OP
OP
R

Red01Z06

Reaction score
I had a code a month ago for bad CAT or O2. I cleared it and it never returned. Just to be sure I swapped all O2 sensors yesterday, weirdness still there. I also removed the K&N filter for standard and but some injector cleaner in this last tank.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i wonder if you are just feeling a load on the engine and to truly get into the power band it would need to shift gears.

owned the truck since new? different feeling?

OP
OP
R

Red01Z06

Reaction score
Purchased it used 9 months or so ago. This is new feeling. It is a weird skip/miss. My wife thought I was going over bumps when I asked her if she could feel it.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
never ask someone who spends most of their time complaining about problems and pinning if they think there is a problem.

100% responding with yea i think there is a problem.
im not saying there isnt, but we need more data. what gear, how long, full drivng temps, ect. a video would help.

if its a feeling, may be the gear its in. although the 6.2 is big you shouldnt be feeling "bumps" once second in the motor and the next second when you add gas it all feels fine. thats not really how it works

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When cruising at around 60-70mph on highway and you give a slight gas it seems to miss. If you give a good push, it is ok. It does it only when low RPM high gear cruse.
2012 SCREW with 143,000 miles on it.

I’ll bet that the condition is there in lower gears too, but you just can’t perceive it.

How is the idle? If you warm up the truck to operating temp, let it idle and goose the gas, does it stumble?

What you’re describing sounds eerily like what happened to my 97 SVT Mustang. It ended up being a cam chain tensioner that took a dump, but it went through 3 Ford SVT Techs, a complete tear down by the 4th followed by days of head scratching.

I’d start simple - check the plugs / ignition circuit.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be an intermittent misfire.... Feels like a trans slip. Doesn't throw a code. A bad COP is usually the culprit. The dealership can do a stress test on the coils (COPs) to determine if this is the issue, and which COP it is. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

Red01Z06

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, it does it in 6th, all temps are norm, no high gauges. It does feel like a coil to me, just does not sounds right if it runs good when I hit it...but maybe. I guess I need to pull plugs and see what they look like next....was not looking forward to that. O2 sensors sucked enough.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Agree - this truck is difficult for spark plugs. With 123k, I bet they would need changing. Take your time - it looks like there are only a few that are tough to get.