still the " theme " supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ivo1.cox

ivo1.cox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks when I have time I will mount, now expect that the guarantee runs out of raptor, after I can do what I want. Now I go to sleep here in Italy are the 3 am :-(

Inviato dal mio SM-T535 utilizzando Tapatalk

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If properly maintained with a supercharger, will the 6.2l last just as long as stock naturally aspirated ?

Absolutley I had a customer call me a few weeks back just to tell me he rolled over 100K miles Supercharged on his 2011 Raptor. He drives all across country with his job and had a Whipple installed with our tuning package and made over 500 RWHP.

Roush wouldn't offer production vehicles if they didn't feel it was safe either. With our tuning and parts upgrades we include in our kits you get the safety and reliability of factory but the performance of aftermarket!

JimIII

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutley I had a customer call me a few weeks back just to tell me he rolled over 100K miles Supercharged on his 2011 Raptor. He drives all across country with his job and had a Whipple installed with our tuning package and made over 500 RWHP.

Roush wouldn't offer production vehicles if they didn't feel it was safe either. With our tuning and parts upgrades we include in our kits you get the safety and reliability of factory but the performance of aftermarket!

JimIII

So that's around what at the crank 700hp or so? What's the limit on the stock internals ? Also what failures are you seeing?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So that's around what at the crank 700hp or so? What's the limit on the stock internals ? Also what failures are you seeing?

Our 700 HP (crank) packages yield around 540-550 RWHP (at the tires) The limit on the internals would be the Oil pump gears, Rods, and pistons. The factory internals are good up to 600 RWHP as long as you don't get any detonation. I've seen the Oil pump gears fail with less power but often it's from heavy on/off throttle pedal conditions like off road racing. The gears are powdered metal and they literally crack in half or multiple pieces. For 99% of our customers it's been a non issue however.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 700 HP (crank) packages yield around 540-550 RWHP (at the tires) The limit on the internals would be the Oil pump gears, Rods, and pistons. The factory internals are good up to 600 RWHP as long as you don't get any detonation. I've seen the Oil pump gears fail with less power but often it's from heavy on/off throttle pedal conditions like off road racing. The gears are powdered metal and they literally crack in half or multiple pieces. For 99% of our customers it's been a non issue however.

So no vented blocks at all you've seen?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So no vented blocks at all you've seen?

I've seen out of over 500 Supercharged Raptor trucks we have tuned, only 2 issues. A customer in California who admittedly put 87 octane in his truck and detonated a piston. Another who had ARH headers and their high flow cats failed. Clogged in the Y pipe and blew out piston rings from the restriction. Only cat failure I've seen on a Raptor but with the ARH headers I've seen this happen often on GT500's making high power. They simply tell you if your making that much power you shouldn't have cats! But we prefer using Kooks to the ARH systems anyway. The cat material and construction is much better and in the event of a failure they are more likely turn into dust and blow out the tail pipe. The ARH cats are spun metallic, they ball up into a mass and can get stuck in the piping or muffler. When you supercharge any vehicle you take on a responsibility as an owner to stay "in tune" with your vehicle and pay attention to what sort of fuel and what parts you put on the truck. It is our job as the tuner to inform you and offer you the best parts and tuning to keep you safe. Our background and track record with these trucks has spoken for itself!!

JimIII

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen out of over 500 Supercharged Raptor trucks we have tuned, only 2 issues. A customer in California who admittedly put 87 octane in his truck and detonated a piston. Another who had ARH headers and their high flow cats failed. Clogged in the Y pipe and blew out piston rings from the restriction. Only cat failure I've seen on a Raptor but with the ARH headers I've seen this happen often on GT500's making high power. They simply tell you if your making that much power you shouldn't have cats! But we prefer using Kooks to the ARH systems anyway. The cat material and construction is much better and in the event of a failure they are more likely turn into dust and blow out the tail pipe. The ARH cats are spun metallic, they ball up into a mass and can get stuck in the piping or muffler. When you supercharge any vehicle you take on a responsibility as an owner to stay "in tune" with your vehicle and pay attention to what sort of fuel and what parts you put on the truck. It is our job as the tuner to inform you and offer you the best parts and tuning to keep you safe. Our background and track record with these trucks has spoken for itself!!

JimIII

So I kinda hijacked this one. It's good to hear not many issue I remember with my lightning I was so afraid to use the power and vent the block. Also I live in Canada so during the winters how does that effect the supercharger/truck or tunes...Hope you understand what I'm asking.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I kinda hijacked this one. It's good to hear not many issue I remember with my lightning I was so afraid to use the power and vent the block. Also I live in Canada so during the winters how does that effect the supercharger/truck or tunes...Hope you understand what I'm asking.

Lol yes we've been around the Lightning Market since day 1 and your right the 5.4L bottom end is the weak point. The large stroke and small bore size along with weak rods and pistons made it a ticking time bomb! But with the right parts, good tuning, and good quality premium fuel you can make some power and it will last. The 6.2L is a different animal. It's certainly not a forged engine but it is more than capable of handling 700 HP with the proper tuning and again good fuel quality.

In colder weather we usually recommend to keep boost levels conservative. Like for our Whipple customers we will often recommend 2 pulleys. a 3.500" for 7-8 psi and 3.250" for 8-9 psi. The bigger pulley for less boost is used in the winter time due to the cooler air compressing easier and making more boost naturally. Just playing it safe.