GEN 2 SPD Trombone install questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lunnzz19

Reaction score
I searched and either I missed it or not using the correct wording but looking for some tips before I crawl under the truck. I got an SPD trombone resonator delete, looking to make the install as easy as possible I mean it looks pretty straight forward. I looked under the truck and it looks like I have the clamp and two bolts up front and the two clamps at the rear. Do I need to remove all the exhaust hangers and possibly lower the spare tire? I assume I'll have to push the rear section of the exhaust back to separate the factory resonator from the back section of the oem exhaust. It looks like I am limited on room when it comes to pushing the exhaust back before it will hit the spare. I'll probably use my Quick Jacks so I can get the truck up in the air and give myself room to work.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how long your old exhaust has been on there, it will likely come down to where it comes apart the easiest. I’d probably start by removing tail pipe some you have the hangers loosened you will have some room to wiggle them to get them out of the clamps. I left center section hang on on set of hangers but removed from other hanger. Do not loosed resonator clams at the front until you have loosened center section sufficiently to slip it off.
Note: My truck is a Scab, so hangers could be different on a Screw.
Don’t mess up the one set of band claps. Ford does not sell them as a service item, Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
Lunnzz19

Lunnzz19

Reaction score
I asked also because I know on my wifes car when I installed a resonator delete it was a pain to install. Of course you only have play in the exhaust on the rear section. And the rear section of the truck is a large section so looking for ideas to get the most movement out of it without dropping the whole thing.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not done this mod on my Raptor yet. My experience with other exhaust mods on other cars I have owned in the past is this, WD40 is your friend on the rusty parts, nuts and bolts. Spray it on and let it soak in. Then come back and spray them again. As SIG said above, you dont want to ruin the band clamp hardware and these parts on these trucks tend to be the bad spots for rust.

OP
OP
Lunnzz19

Lunnzz19

Reaction score
I have not done this mod on my Raptor yet. My experience with other exhaust mods on other cars I have owned in the past is this, WD40 is your friend on the rusty parts, nuts and bolts. Spray it on and let it soak in. Then come back and spray them again. As SIG said above, you dont want to ruin the band clamp hardware and these parts on these trucks tend to be the bad spots for rust.
I got under there yesterday and sprayed them all down and today I broke them loose but due to weather I tightened them back up and will swap it out this weekend. Truck is a southern truck and it only has 15k miles so thankfully they had no rust or corrosion on the hardware at least not enough to cause any issues.

kalel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got under there yesterday and sprayed them all down and today I broke them loose but due to weather I tightened them back up and will swap it out this weekend. Truck is a southern truck and it only has 15k miles so thankfully they had no rust or corrosion on the hardware at least not enough to cause any issues.
@Lunnzz19 did you ever install this? How do you like it and can you post a video?

OP
OP
Lunnzz19

Lunnzz19

Reaction score
I did install it and for me with not so great hearing it is of course a bit louder than the OEM resonator. Removal of the oem resonator required a ratchet strap to pull rear section back far enough to install the SPD piece and of course I had to use the same strap to pull the oem rear section forward for the install. I had no issues with the oem clamps as my truck is a southern truck and at the time of install there might have been 14k miles on the truck so it all came apart rather easy. I'll try to post a video if I do it might just be the truck idling and me reving it up.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit louder may or may not be so bad. Do you feel it sounds less like a Harbor Freight farm tractor though? Or more politely, is it a more pleasant tone?

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A bit louder may or may not be so bad. Do you feel it sounds less like a Harbor Freight farm tractor though? Or more politely, is it a more pleasant tone?
Letting PB blaster soak and removing the spare and pulling the cat-back/muffler section to the rear with a strap and then back into place is the easiest way I’ve found to install the trombone.

Here is a take off video with just the trombone and everything else stock.

Attachments

• E7E9EDF1-CED2-4F47-B7DE-8354BB205D16.mov
    6.6 MB