New SPD Performance HX Series Raptor Muffler Replacement available to Pre-order at Apollo Optics.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SPD sent their newer HX series with the Helmholtz. While it did tone down the drone is still wasn’t happy with how much drone was still be produced. I removed the HX muffler and went with the OEM and Trombone to see how much drone there was, still seemed about the same. Put the HX back on and removed the Trombone to hear a comparison. I’m sticking with the setup without the Trombone since that’s were the remaining drone is coming from. Sucks cause I really like the deeper tone of the Trombone but dang, the drone just isn’t worth it.

I just don’t know if it’s my hearing or how you are precieving the sound. I don’t have drone cruising down the freeway were people say they do at 1800-2K RPM. I drove for 3 hrs this morning in the truck changing speeds trying to hear drone and all I hear is the louder exhaust note. I have down pipes and they are twice as loud. I will take some videos on the way home and post them.

Tomkirkland4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SPD sent their newer HX series with the Helmholtz. While it did tone down the drone is still wasn’t happy with how much drone was still be produced. I removed the HX muffler and went with the OEM and Trombone to see how much drone there was, still seemed about the same. Put the HX back on and removed the Trombone to hear a comparison. I’m sticking with the setup without the Trombone since that’s were the remaining drone is coming from. Sucks cause I really like the deeper tone of the Trombone but dang, the drone just isn’t worth it.
Thanks for the information. We will see what I end up having to do. I was thinking of adding a couple resonators in the bed section of the exhaust.

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
** Update**

I received the new HX muffler with the Helmholtz Resonator today from SPD. I did take quite a bit of video comparing interior sound levels with a DB meter with the cruise set between 65-85 on the freeway and normal driving around town (Current HX muffler). I did meet up with another member who currently has the new HX on his truck with the Trombone and Stainless Works Downpipes. There is a big difference in the sound and interior cabin noise. I measured between 5-7 decibels quieter with the Helmholtz setup(normal street and freeway driving).
I did notice the normal HX has a deeper tone. I will be installing the new HX on my truck next week and doing more interior and exterior videos along with DB readings.
I do plan on making a comparison video and posting it up. I do not know how long it will be yet. YouTube may be a better upload site depending on length. I do know at this time the version with the Helmholtz will be no more than $300 more. Pricing has not been finalized yet.
I will keep y’all updated.

Kyle

IMG_2159.jpeg

pete888

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ready to order once you have confirmed “no drone” with the trombone and the new setup. Thanks!

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a trombone still in the box . . . and a supercab.

Will this muffler fit so long as the pipe is trimmed as directed to do to the stock unit?

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've got a trombone still in the box . . . and a supercab.

Will this muffler fit so long as the pipe is trimmed as directed to do to the stock unit?
I talked to SPD about SCAB Raptors. Like you said it will have to be custom and the trombone piping will have to be trimmed down. There isn’t a reason it would not fit, you or someone that has the skill to measure twice, cut once should be able to get it to work. SPD hasn’t produced it because of the lack of demand for SCAB trucks.

OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ready to order once you have confirmed “no drone” with the trombone and the new setup. Thanks!

Just finished putting on the new HX with the Helmholtz. Initial cold start was quieter. I’ll drive it the 19mi into work tomorrow and video on my way home. Been working on the truck all weekend. I’m beat

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Drove the truck yesterday and today. Initial thoughts is it’s much quieter on a cold start. Quite a bit quieter under normal acceleration. Between 18-2500. Under wide open it’s just as loud as before. No DB readings yet. I’ll be doing that and videoing this afternoon.
I will keep everyone posted.

Kyle