Spare tire locations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have a question for anybody that runs with a spare in the bed and under it in the stock location. Do you all have the HD springs and feel that you needed them. I recently added a rack and got a second spare and I am worried now that I can't run them both because I only have the SD springs. I all ready notice hitting the bumps around town a lot more. I was wondering does putting one back under the truck make any difference. It's still being held up by the springs but it's lower so I was thinking maybe it doesn't put as much force on the springs. Idk I guess I just don't want to spend another 1000 on springs.

It sounds like the HD springs would help you out IMO

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was constantly hitting the bumps with stage 2 and stock springs. I also have a ton of gear in my tool box all the time so going HDs was a good choice.

OP
OP
LFtrip

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on getting RPG stage 2 but was hoping to keep the stock springs. Do you think it's necessary to go to HDs?

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when I talked with RPG they said if you weren't towing or hauling a full load like to go camping then you don't need the HD springs. I just do day trips so I went with the standard National springs. I have stock FOX shocks in back, RPG 3.0 coil overs in front and with the standard National springs the rear keeps up with the front. I bottomed the stock front before the stock rear. Now with the 3.0 front and the stage 3 rear it's balanced for my driving

RaptorBri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally started with the RPG stage 3 plus Fox 3.0 front and rear. I had the National sd's and didn't think I would ever have enough weight in the bed to require anything heavier.......
1.5 years later, I am carrying over 400 lbs regularly in/on the box and the National SD's start sagging.......damn!! I was about 40.5" from ground to fender flare.
Just purchased and installed the Deaver +3's to get my ass back up and handle the load. Expensive lesson and removing and installing by yourself is not something I want to do again.

btw, I'm not back on the road yet, so can't give you any feedback yet. We have our Raptor Expedition called the BC500 in 1 week, so I should have some pretty good feedback at the end of the run!

RaptorBri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
July 10 2014 005.jpg

Raptor June 13 016.jpg

Raptor Run July 6 2014 018.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my set up, and I will be carrying my second spare under the box. See the saggy ass in the third pic? That's without the second spare mounted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LFtrip

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can do the bump stop and springs but I don't have the funds for new shocks. 2.5s will have to do it.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then run bump stops and springs. Do your research on springs first though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk