sold my stock bumper, buyer says it doesn't fit - what should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hola brojams,

I sold my stock front bumper earlier this week to some dude off craigslist for $400. Nice guy, brought out his wife and kids, and we chatted raptor stuff for a bit before he paid me and went on his way.

Today, he gives me a call and lets me know my bumper doesn't work on his truck, that it sits off alignment / it took several shims before it looked remotely close to right, and that he spent all day fiddling with it at his buddy's body shop and it just didn't come close to working.

He then tells me the body shop had ordered a new bumper for him, and it had arrived even though they had cancelled the order when he found my bumper on craigslist. That bumper apparently fit perfectly.

His body shop guy and he both agree that the bumper is, as I described it, in mint condition and looks basically brand new (which it was, I took it off with a little over 1700 miles on it if I remember correctly). He wasn't sure if there was a change between the years, or if there is a manufacturing defect in it that just wasn't noticeable on my truck, or what. He doesn't think the damage to his original bumper which led him down the path to buy a replacement bumper caused damage to the frame horns, and he thinks that shows because the new in box bumper bolts on no problem.

So basically my question is, what should I do? I realize legally I don't have to do anything, but it seems to me $400 affects this dude much more than it would affect me. I realize theres a number of variables here that play against him, including the prior damage to his truck, the fact that I'm going entirely off what he's said, and the competency of him and his body shop, but I'm inclined to believe him.

Has anyone come across glaring ford manufacturing defects like this before? Should I just tell him to pretend he's a certain purple shirt wearing FRFer and eat a bag of *****?

Advise me bros.

Cliffs for the lazy:
- I sold my front bumper
- Dude says it doesn't fit because Ford ****** up
- :artist1:
- What should I do

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a toughie. I think it all boils down to how nice you're feeling. If it was me, I would offer him maybe $50 back just because I feel sorry for him (that's if he's telling the truth). Then I'd tell him good luck on selling it and part ways.

There is also the possibility that this guy ordered a new bumper, forgot to cancel the order and the bumper came in so he's hoping to 'return' yours

Last edited:

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird because noahs 2013 frnt he gave me is a direct match to my 2010 I have his skid plate on and Ive looked at both and they seem identicle

OP
OP
Westside Offroad Group

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah I told the dude I'm pretty sure they're identical year to year, otherwise aftermarket bumper manufacturers would have you specify what year truck you had to get one that fits.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to be Mr. Nice Guy (and you think you can sell it once more) then take it back and give him his money back.

But I think you sold it as-is without any guarantees at all (because he could visually inspect it to determine the condition it was in before he bought it).

And HE should be able to sell it just as easily as you can. Perhaps you can help him sell it and limit your involvement to that?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn! I have made the mistake of buying used parts I ended up not needing or using in the past, never tried to return them to the previous owner for some BS reason.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if yours is the one that fit perfect and they are trying to give you one back that the body shop found that is messed up? What if they messed yours up trying to install it and are trying to sell it back? He owns it now. He inspected it and bought it. If he wanted a return option, he should have gone retail to begin with. Sounds Fishy. Just tell him you would love to help him out, but no refunds and GLWS as he re sells it now to get his money back. As mentioned, who knows what he did to your bumper while in his possession?

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn! Who knew? JB does more than one-liners haha!

I would take it back if it looks ok, and resell it to an offroader less perfectionist type. I bought CAbimmers banged up bumper and made it work by using some parts from my old bumper. It doesn't fit perfectly and I couldn't care less. It's days are numbered and eventually will end up in a scrap heap.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd make sure it's your bumper and that they didn't cause any damage trying to install it on his truck. He's not being an ******* about it so I don't see the point in being an ******* to him. If its returned in the same condition you gave it to him in then I'd give him the refund.

ESRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I took it back, I would make darn sure it is in the SAME condition as when I sold it. But you are not on the hook for any of it as several have noted. Good luck either way.