Shifting issues from 1st to 2nd in Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve had a single rough shift in eco mode and I’d bet I can replicate if I try

set up: I was merging and thought I would just “boost” around into the center lane. Like a challenge from God, some dim witted prius driver cuts over in front of my path, so I stab the gas and go hard left, about half throttle. Trans had just settled into - I’ll guess bout 5th or 6th, was doing about 45.

It’s also possible to set up the “rpm hang” or reluctant up shift. You’re in sport mode, figuring you’ll have some fun when out of nowhere, a hyper miler turns on to the road way in front of you, while you’re on the gas. You have to lift and the truck is thinking - yeah, he’s gonna get in the gas again, no sense upshifting.... wait ... for... it... and eventually the truck figures you lost your nerve and upshifts.

Neither has hurt my feelings. The clunky downshift thanks to the dullard prius driver was loud, but otherwise didn’t ‘feel’ as clunky as it sounded.

OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had the same issue since I pulled the batter cable. The shifts in sport mode are hard (as designed) and in comfort they're smooth and quite. The issue with the pause and the harsh engagement seems to be a thing of the past. Such a relief that it didn't have to go back to the dealer to be evaluated....

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't pause and rev up, but I have a very hard shift from 4-5 in sport mode, but only sometimes. And it is only that 4-5 shift when upshifting. But, I have also had some very hard shifts in decel in various gears.

Rapfan

Reaction score
Mine doesn't pause and rev up, but I have a very hard shift from 4-5 in sport mode, but only sometimes. And it is only that 4-5 shift when upshifting. But, I have also had some very hard shifts in decel in various gears.

Hey Tx,

Are you still having this rough upshift? I just got my 2018 and I've got this in the same spot in both sport and eco. In sport it shift really freaking hard up. Lost the milk in the backseat kind of hard. Literary, milk Jug went flying, lol.

Trying to bubble this thread up to see if anyone is still having these issues as it's annoying as hell on a brand new truck.

N

OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tx,

Are you still having this rough upshift? I just got my 2018 and I've got this in the same spot in both sport and eco. In sport it shift really freaking hard up. Lost the milk in the backseat kind of hard. Literary, milk Jug went flying, lol.

Trying to bubble this thread up to see if anyone is still having these issues as it's annoying as hell on a brand new truck.

N

Try doing what I did...unhook the battery for 15-20 minutes to reset the trans. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but it's worth the shot.

FWIW, I installed the MPT 93 tune and the shifting is night and day better...not even a comparison....and the power increase is crazy...

Rapfan

Reaction score
Try doing what I did...unhook the battery for 15-20 minutes to reset the trans. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but it's worth the shot.

FWIW, I installed the MPT 93 tune and the shifting is night and day better...not even a comparison....and the power increase is crazy...

Awesome thanks for the insights man. I'll give it all a whirl when I can. In CA I cant get more than 91 octane, so hoping they have a tune that works. ANy ideas on if the tune affects warranty?

gtrraptor

Reaction score

Where in NJ are you? I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on that tune but would love to see how someone else's is. Would you ever be interested in meeting up if your anywhere near the city?

OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in NJ are you? I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on that tune but would love to see how someone else's is. Would you ever be interested in meeting up if your anywhere near the city?

I'm in south jersey. About 20 min from Phila. I'm fine meeting up, just PM me for details if you're around the area. The tune is excellent. Wakes the truck up like you wouldn't believe.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is the same, in sport mode it has a notiecable "bump" from 1-3 gear, can't really feel it past 4th gear but it does seem the transmission was programmed to be aggressive and perhaps a bit "harsh" when in sport mode.

In comfort mode it is smooth as silk

Seems to me it may be skipping 2nd gear (in Sport mode) intentionally. Just my guess but it's how it feels when my Raptor is in S-mode. I'll watch the gear display and see if I can observe it that way.