Shifting manual mode. Rev limiter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twiss

Reaction score
21 raptor EcoBoost. When in manual mode .sport mode. When the truck hits the rev limiter in the gauges turn red it will not shift into next gear with paddle shifter. The RPMs have to come down the red needs to go away then it will shift .anyone else have this issue. I have a hellcat red eye when it hits the rev limiter it will shift when I hit the paddle. This raptor will not.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Paddle shifting is a waste in this truck when trying to go fast. Let the Auto be auto. The response time when you hit the paddle is so slow, it commands the shift late, and as you said, you have hit the rev limiter and the engine retards boost and timing to save itself.

Keep it on auto, the paddles are only good for when you want to have control of shifting to hold a certain rev range. For speed, they slow you down.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Paddle shifting is a waste in this truck when trying to go fast. Let the Auto be auto. The response time when you hit the paddle is so slow, it commands the shift late, and as you said, you have hit the rev limiter and the engine retards boost and timing to save itself.

Keep it on auto, the paddles are only good for when you want to have control of shifting to hold a certain rev range. For speed, they slow you down.
i would say that with my new gen3, the paddle shifts are way faster than my gen 2. Not as fast as my PDK Porsche but way faster than gen 2. Gen 2 feels like a suggestion box gen 3 actually goes through the gears when chosen; different tuning.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
21 raptor EcoBoost. When in manual mode .sport mode. When the truck hits the rev limiter in the gauges turn red it will not shift into next gear with paddle shifter. The RPMs have to come down the red needs to go away then it will shift .anyone else have this issue. I have a hellcat red eye when it hits the rev limiter it will shift when I hit the paddle. This raptor will not.
Rightly, or wrongly, it’s working as designed.
Why are you running it into the rev limiter?
if you don’t work manual mode a lot, you can easily hit the rev limiter coming off an exit or comically fast taking off and holding first more than a second.

I took one of the runs in Raptor Assault’s pea gravel cone course in sport mode / 4a thinking it might buy me a little forgiveness on the 2nd turn. It didn’t.
Once stability control took over it cut all power for what seemed like the better part of a second, but I’m sure was faster in actual time.

OP is right, once you hit the rev limiter, the paddlers or gear buttons are disabled until you are no longer cutting power by the rev limiter, then you can upshift. I don’t know if this is the rev limiter strategy, or stability control but I’ve observed it too.

@goblues38 & @Booth9999 are also correct. You would need a cr@p ton of practice to get reliable and better than the automatic shifts in sport mode at 3/4 throttle or more. it’s best to just short shift first and plan your shifting so aren’t in some awkward position when you need to down/upshift.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rightly, or wrongly, it’s working as designed.

if you don’t work manual mode a lot, you can easily hit the rev limiter coming off an exit or comically fast taking off and holding first more than a second.

I took one of the runs in Raptor Assault’s pea gravel cone course in sport mode / 4a thinking it might buy me a little forgiveness on the 2nd turn. It didn’t.
Once stability control took over it cut all power for what seemed like the better part of a second, but I’m sure was faster in actual time.

OP is right, once you hit the rev limiter, the paddlers or gear buttons are disabled until you are no longer cutting power by the rev limiter, then you can upshift. I don’t know if this is the rev limiter strategy, or stability control but I’ve observed it too.

@goblues38 & @Booth9999 are also correct. You would need a cr@p ton of practice to get reliable and better than the automatic shifts in sport mode at 3/4 throttle or more. it’s best to just short shift first and plan your shifting so aren’t in some awkward position when you need to down/upshift.
i suspect shortshifting around 5k rpm is faster than letting it rev out given that HP and TQ starts to fall off past 5k