Shifting issues from 1st to 2nd in Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that issue from time to time. It seems to happen occasionally when the transmission is cold, as it warms up it smooths out. As I have put more miles on the truck it also seems less frequent but does still occasionally happen.

Just doesn't seem like that's a god thing. But if its an issue that sticks around, I'm sure they'll have a new flash for the tranny. I took it around this morning in sport mode and it was 29 here in NJ. Didn't happen. So....hopefully the reboot of the transmission worked. I'll keep it in sport mode the rest of the day and see what happens. When it shifts correctly, the acceleration is excellent and the shifts are perfect.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just doesn't seem like that's a god thing. But if its an issue that sticks around, I'm sure they'll have a new flash for the tranny. I took it around this morning in sport mode and it was 29 here in NJ. Didn't happen. So....hopefully the reboot of the transmission worked. I'll keep it in sport mode the rest of the day and see what happens. When it shifts correctly, the acceleration is excellent and the shifts are perfect.

Can you hit us with an update in a week if the reboot licked it

Justtoph

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Very interesting here, if you could please include your build date, I would be interested to see if these are early builds or not..

OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you hit us with an update in a week if the reboot licked it

It hasn't happened since I pulled the battery. So far so good. I still only have 200 miles on it, so I haven't really hit it hard. Figured maybe at the 300-400 mile mark I'd go full throttle.
I'm hoping something that simple fixed it, but will update the post if anything changes.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Hey Guys,

Very interesting here, if you could please include your build date, I would be interested to see if these are early builds or not..

My build date was 11/15. So I think i'm right on the border of where the supposed issues were. Not really sure if there's a way to check to see if the tranny was ever refreshed or if mine was included in the early build group. If anyone knows a way to check, let me know.

JDog

Reaction score
It hasn't happened since I pulled the battery. So far so good. I still only have 200 miles on it, so I haven't really hit it hard. Figured maybe at the 300-400 mile mark I'd go full throttle.
I'm hoping something that simple fixed it, but will update the post if anything changes.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

My build date was 11/15. So I think i'm right on the border of where the supposed issues were. Not really sure if there's a way to check to see if the tranny was ever refreshed or if mine was included in the early build group. If anyone knows a way to check, let me know.

Man, I haven't been able to avoid really getting after it. I read the break in, and I think it just said don't labor the engine and don't let it run at the same speed for long periods so I've been getting after it almost everytime I take it out! I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF! And I giggle all the time while doing it. Mine shifts rough when I really get after it but I talked to a Ford service guy today and he said give it 1000-1500 miles or so for the Tranny to tune itself. Seems crazy but I'll give it a go. Had to take it into Ford b/c one of my headlights wasn't working. Worked when I picked it up then just stopped. My Ford Fusion loaner car is no raptor...so now I'm sad again.

Snakedriver

Reaction score
The 10 speed is all new so there will be a few issues that have to worked out to begin with and probably some updates.

OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda figured they worked all of that out while our trucks sat for 2 months on ramp 59, but maybe not...I'm going to keep an eye on mine since it appears to be ok now. Not going back to the dealer unless it becomes a problem. Just happy that it's shifting ok now in Sport Mode with just a battery reset....fingers are def crossed....

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode always 'knocks' into gear. It has never been smooth. To me it seems that way by design. Hard, fast shifting.
In normal mode I can't feel a thing.

miula

Reaction score
Sport mode always 'knocks' into gear. It has never been smooth. To me it seems that way by design. Hard, fast shifting.

Mine is the same, in sport mode it has a notiecable "bump" from 1-3 gear, can't really feel it past 4th gear but it does seem the transmission was programmed to be aggressive and perhaps a bit "harsh" when in sport mode.

In comfort mode it is smooth as silk

Now I just need to figure out if I should be concerned about the rusty front half shafts...

Last edited:

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I've noticed shifting is a bit smoother when I've warmed the car up for 5-10 mins prior to driving. From a cold start and drive, shifting has been a little harder in the lower gears. Either way, it doesn't seem abnormal. Just my observations.