Scepter Gas Cans on Expedition Portal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup - not concerned about the strap/no strap. Just want to clean them out and get new Viton gaskets for them (not gonna try to find the material and cut them and then see if they leak unless we can't find the gaskets pre-made).

Just heard from Max who sold the cans - he sent this info (I'm not sure using water in the cans is the best idea):

Dan,

I would wash them with some detergent that guts grease and oil such as GoGo, or Dawn a few times, them rinse them completely.

As for the seals, there are several people selling these on the portal and ebay, but the cheapest guy I found was a guy in PA who is selling them for $4.50 each (payments by check only).

I emailed him and will report back if/when he responds.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
<snip> (not gonna try to find the material and cut them and then see if they leak unless we can't find the gaskets pre-made).
There are a few on eBay. The link I gave in post #7 is one such seller, although he's charging more than 2x what Max says he found them at.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update:

* The guy above ($4.50 each) has them made and he only takes checks. Here's his info: tom musselman; 137 donald lane; johnstown, pa. 15904

* A friend of mine (very experienced offroader, multiple Jeep and pickup truck owner, very good wrench, etc.) was the one who recommended the Sceptre cans to me some years back. I asked him and here's what he told me:

I got my Sceptre cans used. they have the plastic yellow ******** the cap, indicating they were diesel (a red strap means gas can). Not surprising, since the cans are almost all military surplus and the vast majority of military vehicles run on diesel. I did nothing. I put gas in them and used them. If you are concerned about it, put a quart of gas in the cans, swirl it around for a few minutes, and then dump it out. That should clean out any diesel residue. Gasoline is a very effective solvent!

The gasket is set into a ring inside the cap. The gasket is either there or its not--I've never seen one that was deteriorated (unlike on Blitz cans where occasional replacement of the gaskets is a maintenance item). In other words, if the gasket is there, you're good to go. And btw, gasoline won't melt diesel-can gaskets. Don't worry about any of that "Viton gasket" nonsense you heard from the nerdy over-thinkers at Expo Portal.

HA HA

I'm going to put some gas in them to clean them (not sure what I'll do with that - burn it? :D ) and then I'm going to fill them up with gas and check for leaks. If they don't leak then I don't think I'll bother with the Viton gaskets...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only thing I would warn against is the difference between leaking and vapors escaping. Some of my other experiments/attempts at this that didn't have a good sealing Viton gasket didn't leak, but did let vapors out and the smell of gas permiated my bed and bedrug under my bed cover. I can still smell it, and those cans have been long gone for about 6 months now.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I ordered a set of the gaskets and we will see how that goes. I had planned to wipe the outside down with solvent and swish some gas around on the inside to clean them out. There is a place where you can order the red straps, but a sharpie on the cap works for me.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because if they were diesel cans, they came with rubber gaskets, not Viton. Gas eats rubber.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'd probably be OK with rubber gaskets as that's what many gas cans have... but gas will definitely affect a rubber gasket and it may start to leak down the road... as was said... vapors if not liquid.