Scepter Gas Cans on Expedition Portal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just filled my tank and 4 cans with E85. Paid $3.38/gal. Freaking crazy expensive, but when compared to $4.10/gal for 87oct gas I suppose it aint so bad. :doh:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is interesting Dan. Although I wonder what happens with expansion and contraction as the weather heats up and cools. After taking apart the Sceptre top, sure looks to me like they've done their homework on that subject.

Well, IIRC, when you screw in the filler pipe (2" male threads) into the Sceptre can, you will see what looks to be the vent hole through the lip of the the filler neck/threaded area. Surely the vent will still work but I suppose gas could leak through that hole?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But given the difference of MPGs, I wonder how the cost per gallon compares?
My experiments say I'm worst case at 15% less MPG with E85 than gas (usually around 10%, but for the sake of argument...). Gas was roughly 18% more expensive today, so I'm ahead of the game. And E85 is more fun too :D

Well, IIRC, when you screw in the filler pipe (2" male threads) into the Sceptre can, you will see what looks to be the vent hole through the lip of the the filler neck/threaded area. Surely the vent will still work but I suppose gas could leak through that hole?
Not sure whatcha mean? The cap that comes with the can is 100% sealed; the two piece design looks to me like it allows for some flex without creating any leaks.

Is that what you're talking about?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ummm... guys... An important point is being missed in this "debate" about "rubber" not being compatible with gasoline or E85...

"Rubber" is way too general of a term. There are probably thousands of types of rubber. Some kinds of rubber are turned to absolute goo within a few minutes of contact with gasoline or even diesel. Others types of rubber hold up very well.

Viton is one type of rubber that holds up very well to both gasoline and E85 (ethanol). But it is by no means the ONLY type of rubber that is compatible with gas/E85. (There are plenty of rubber parts in an E85 fuel system... it's just a different type of rubber than was traditionally used in automotive applications years ago.)

We can assume that since Scepter has a different gasket, that the diesel gasket might be a type that is not compatible with gasoline. But it could be something else entirely.

Here's my "what if" based purely on speculation:

As J said, caps on plastic cans tend to loosen... but the Scepter cans are reportedly tight.

I also remember reports a few years ago that if you used the diesel gaskets with gasoline in the Scepter cans, the caps could become EXTREMELY difficult to remove. I think it was on the FJ forum that someone reported the caps could even crack!

So what if the diesel gasket is a type of rubber that swells slightly with diesel to keep the cap tight? But maybe swells a bit too much with gasoline? That wouldn't mean the diesel gasket material is not compatible with gasoline... it just might not be the best material for the specific application.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good thought on the swelling possibility Mark. I hadn't considered that.

Glorybigs

Reaction score
Guys,

Here is the straight dope on the Scepter Military Fuel Cans (MFC's).

The MFC's with similar color caps/straps/can body are mil-spec and made for fuel, meaning Diesel, JP8, Kerosene, etc. They have a rubber compound gasket not suitable for Gasoline. Some of these were ordered with yellow straps.

The MFC's with Red color straps and drab colored caps/can bodies are mil-spec and made for Gasoline and when configured from the factory came with Viton gaskets that ARE suitable for Gasoline.

Be cautious here, just because they have a red strap does not necessarily mean they have a Viton gasket, some less desirable folks just install a red ******** a fuel can and pass it off as being a Scepter Gasoline rated MFC.

If you use Gasoline in a standard MFC - It will crack the cap flange!

These flanges are about impossible to get because Scepter stopped selling to civilians.

When the rubber Fuel gasket is exposed to Gasoline it Shrinks and cracks the retaining flange on the cap flange.

So...buy from a reputable seller or save yourself the headache and just purchase a Viton Gasket and replace the rubber one prior to filling with Gasoline.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Any chance the straps are available? One of my cans doesn't have a strap and when I take the can's cap off the inside piece (I guess that's what you're calling a "flange") will fall out.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Any chance the straps are available? One of my cans doesn't have a strap and when I take the can's cap off the inside piece (I guess that's what you're calling a "flange") will fall out.

From the thread on Expedition Portal:
"Red Straps - dstactical.com out of Canada."
I ordered 4 from there, but they haven't come in yet.