RPG Texas Raptor Run 2014: On Topic Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

What about a radio? I remember reading somewhere awhile back about you guys having radios for events like this. Is it recommended and if so what kind.

Trey had some in the Garage Sale section but I don't think he is watching/responding to it for awhile.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
What about a radio? I remember reading somewhere awhile back about you guys having radios for events like this. Is it recommended and if so what kind.

VHF that can transmit in the business band.

I sell a Baofeng 5 watt handheld for $55 pre-programmed and charged.

I also sell the Icom F5021 with antenna and magnetic base for $350, its a 50 watt mounted unit.

For the mounted units, I sell Icom because they are a quality brand and can hold up to abuse.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Icom radio through Trey is a great deal. I found the radio and GPS to be very helpful last year, but not 100% necessary. The radio is good for all of Trey's Raptor runs, and probably most other Raptor events.

I couldn't get my GPS to work for 50% of the first lap at TRR, but once I got it working it was very helpful. We only got off course once without the GPS, but easily got back on the trail. I now use the GPS for any trails we run in Colorado. It's a real lifesaver in my opinion.

I filled the gas tank on my Screw right before the event and carried a 5 gallon reserve. I never had to touch my reserve.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a blackhawk 40 behind my grill and a rigid 40 in my bumper. about a 5" difference in height between two. we can test both if we need