Rookie mistake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Road Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad luck I quess, but my filter was soaked, the inlet tube was full of foam and standing water in the box. Changed the oil right away and about to put AMS Oil back into as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have found the best trick to keep the air raid filters from falling off is to install the air filter on the intake tube first and as deep as possible before installing the intake tube to the throttle body tube. My truck had a air raid installed when I purchased it. It fell off regularly. After I installed the intake tube deeper in filter and tightened the clamp with a socket or shaft of a 6 way screwdriver it has not fallen off the intake tube. Now as for the metal frame that clamps to the lower air box. That has to be screwed in place with some self taping screws. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this to throw up my rookie mistake involving water ingestion this weekend.

Apparently the stock air box isn't as water inhibiting as you guys are believing. I went to a spot this weekend with the girl and was bombing through some water holes (water up to maybe the bottom lug nuts, side steps at most) and definitely ingested some water. Service Stabilitrak, Service Engine Soon, Hill Descent, all the idiot lights came on and the truck putted to a stop up at a flat spot. I didn't initially know what happened until I pulled the intake half off and saw a good 2 inches of water in the bottom of the box. I then spent the next 2 hours tearing the intake off, pulling plugs and doing my best to get water out of everything. The intake silencer thing(right in front of the throttlebody) spewed about half a gallon of water when I undid all the tubing and shook it out. There was another guy there with quads and bikes and once I was trying to start the truck, he said he watched a pint of water fly out my exhaust.

Luckily, nothing is wrong with the truck. I should probably change my oil but I was more concerned about hydrolocking a 6300mi engine at the time.

There's definitely a design oversight with the stock airbox as well. The fender tube has a direct line of sight to the intake tube to the throttle body with no baffling to prevent water getting sucked directly into the intake. I'm not saying this is all of Ford's fault as I was the one bombing through the puddles but as a truck that has offroading in mind, you'd think there'd be some form of baffling in the stock intake box to prevent this.

I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned and maybe I'll fab something up for my truck to at least redirect the water away from immediately going into the intake.