Rookie mistake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The OP is sharing a bad experience he had with the Volant CAI, not Airaid. The Volant is not designed to be used with the lid off, especially during inclement weather, as it does not seal to the hood like the the Airaid. So this is what I learned from the OP, if you have a Volant CAI and you take the lid off for the sound and it starts raining, put the lid back on "ASAP" or you might have a problem with water ingestion.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The OP is sharing a bad experience he had with the Volant CAI, not Airaid. The Volant is not designed to be used with the lid off, especially during inclement weather, as it does not seal to the hood like the the Airaid. So this is what I learned from the OP, if you have a Volant CAI and you take the lid off for the sound and it starts raining, put the lid back on "ASAP" or you might have a problem with water ingestion.

Thanks for that. I was starting to wonder how water got all the way up there. Is that what that rubber seal on the top of the Roush is supposed to do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 44

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ZBoater, yes the rubber trim seals to the hood to prevent water that might come through the hood vent from entering the CAI. This is not 100% effective so a pre-filter will add further protection. This is what the Airaid looks like with a pre-filter.

Airaid001_zpsb798fff3.jpg

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an Airaid also. I don't understand what your concern is. When the hood is down, the box seals against the hood. No water going to run into the box. If you get water in it, you will have earned it.

Just looked and it seals so tight to the hood there is a outline the firewall...from. The box...

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

ZBoater, yes the rubber trim seals to the hood to prevent water that might come through the hood vent from entering the CAI. This is not 100% effective so a pre-filter will add further protection. This is what the Airaid looks like with a pre-filter.

Airaid001_zpsb798fff3.jpg

What is the pink thing in front of your filter?

twlhunter65

Reaction score
Just looked and it seals so tight to the hood there is a outline the firewall...from. The box...

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

What is the pink thing in front of your filter?

I see you added two extra hood seals, are those the extra ones they put in the kit for the Harley version? I just have the back and left side done.

Attachments

• Copy (1) of 004.jpg
    Copy (1) of 004.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I cut a piece off the grandkids swimming noodle to wedge between the filter and box to keep the filter from bouncing while going through rough terrain. Couldn't find the blue one so pink it is.:gayflag:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Opinion: CAIs are a nice, easy mod but I've never seen their value being greater than their risk. I'd never put another CAI on any vehicle I own.

If the mfr didn't provide it, it's not going on. Especially in a vehicle like a Raptor that can see all kinds of weather and conditions on and off road.