Rookie mistake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Opinion: CAIs are a nice, easy mod but I've never seen their value being greater than their risk. I'd never put another CAI on any vehicle I own.

If the mfr didn't provide it, it's not going on. Especially in a vehicle like a Raptor that can see all kinds of weather and conditions on and off road.

So you haven't changed anything on your truck for aftermarket parts?

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Airaid was tight but the water crossing and the transmission res hose blowing off is what killed mine and I had the pre filter on.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can not believe y'all are having that many issues sucking water with your CAIs. I Soak(Pressure wash too) my engine bay every time I wash my truck. EVERY TIME! Not one problem. I'm just confused I guess. I'm rockin a K&N with the Prefilter.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can not believe y'all are having that many issues sucking water with your CAIs. I Soak(Pressure wash too) my engine bay every time I wash my truck. EVERY TIME! Not one problem. I'm just confused I guess. I'm rockin a K&N with the Prefilter.

It's running thru 3 plus feet of water that will thrust it in there not a power washer or car wash.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So others can learn from my mistake and not repeat it. Seen a few comments about other having issues with CAIs with dust and water in the intake. Had the lid off my Volant CAI and it recently poured here, it had done this before with no issues. This time it made a sponge out of my Power Core Filter and it sucked a bunch of foam and water into the air intake. The heat extractor in the hood is right above the CAI box. It died right off the bat... Would turn over and then bog down.

The FIX... Removed all 16 spark plugs and cranked the started over without the plugs in to remove the water. Worked liked a charm and disaster averted. Hope this helps, leave your box sealed.

Sorry no pictures freaked out just a little when I saw the standing water in the CAI box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll probably want to change your oil now too.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ twice

Always be careful if you suspect water got in the cylinders. If you crank it with the plugs in you can hydro lock a cylinder and bend a rod.. I've seen it many times on boats and atv's that end up a little deeper than expected. $$$$

Last edited:

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im running an Airaid since day 1 basically, done snoball and havoc in the hills, plus other road trips and dealing with chicago weather.... not a single issue. and i dont have a prefilter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc