Rail Dust... anyone dealt with this before???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ford actually has a recommended procedure for rail dust removal and it has been around about 14 years that I know of for sure, and maybe longer. It involve an acid wash, then regular wash a polish. It doesn't involve clay bar, because they contractor they hired did not feel that is was effective.

I've done an acid wash once before on a vehicle with etched water spots. Definitely not something the average joe can do and you really need two people to do it right. Letting it sit for too long can really screw up your paint.

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does ford use any type of plastic protection on the car to protect the paint? If so I'm going to request they not remove it, I like to peel it off myself. I always refuse any wash service they offer, all it does is scratch the paint. I don't care what kind of car it is you are going to need to clay, polish, and seal the paint when you get it.

This is how my m3 was delivered, now granted it had to travel a much further distance, but it did over some protection:

IMG_0009-3.jpg

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rail dust rust or something more?

So I cleaned my truck this weekend. Ended up having to clay bar it... again. I have got a bazillion rust dots all over the truck. Less than 15k miles and the truck is only a year old. These things come back every couple of weeks. What gives and how to I stop it? Should I be going back to the dealer? I am using Adams products so I know I am getting it clean and protected. I just don't get it. I clay bar and wax and they still come back.

forgot to mention, this does come off with clay bar and detail spray but absolutely will not come off with just washing.

2014-02-22 15.13.55.jpg

2014-02-22 15.14.06.jpg

2014-02-22 15.14.19.jpg

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rail dust. Try Iron-X by CarPro. It will completely dissolve the iron particle where as a clay bar may still leave some of it embedded in the paint.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Slacker, it's more likely brake dust that's sticking to your truck...and it's obviously more noticeable on a white vehicle. Rail dust is really only an issue upon delivery when new cars and trucks are transported on rail cars.

You can use some Deep Wheel Cleaner as a decontamination step before you wash when the spots get bad enough to bother you. Spray down with water, apply the Deep Wheel Cleaner and watch it start to dissolve the spots, rinse off thoroughly, then continue with the normal wash process.

If there are any spots left after this, claying them will be FAST and easy since you've removed most of the spots with the DWC step.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have got some of the same but....

All over the rear bumper on my 2012 with 17,000 miles. Garage kept, washed frequently and never been 4x4ing with it. It's seems these just popped up all of a sudden. Any clues as to why?