Performance difference between Gen 2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Performance between a 2019 and a 2020 should be identical; nothing changed in terms of powertrain.

I would recommend checking the aftermarket blow off valve for a boost leak. If it’s bypassing boost pressure, the truck will be down on power. That can also skew other parameters such as load, which can affect shifting.

OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
How are you measuring the performance differences? Feel isn't gonna be a enough on this one, need some 0-60 times, fuel economy and some tangible ways to actually compare rather than just feel. The stiffer suspension in the 2020 could also eliminate some of the sensation of speed. And you should just switch to premium fuel regardless, save your ass in the long run or you'll have another truck you're getting rid of prematurely potentially.
Transmissions are shifting different, inability to spin the tires in nearly the same way, and a slower 0-60 by almost half a second everytime ive tested it. And yes I switched to premium fuel that seems to really be hijacking this thread.
Also are the suspensions different? I thought the change was in 19 because I had live valves on both trucks.

OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
Clearly not fine enough for this thread not to exist. Put the recommended gas in there first before erecting a bitch thread.
I recognize I’m not a great writer but I thought this was clear. My 19 I used 89 for about 30k miles. It was fine no complaints loved that truck.

19 gets totaled from a guy running a red light. I get a 20 identical except color and 801 vs 802. I ran 89 in the 20 and it ran like crap. Wondered what was up so I dove into the fuel threads. Switched to premium and am sticking with premium because I recognize that it’s better. (I don’t think 89 is as bad as people say but it’s worth the little extra to have to right stuff) and the 20 is still not running nearly as well.

I’m not trying to get into a pissing match about fuel I’m wondering if there maybe I’d something going on that could cause this as I shouldn’t have less power on an identical truck with better fuel.

OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
Performance between a 2019 and a 2020 should be identical; nothing changed in terms of powertrain.

I would recommend checking the aftermarket blow off valve for a boost leak. If it’s bypassing boost pressure, the truck will be down on power. That can also skew other parameters such as load, which can affect shifting.

Thank you for actually trying to help and not complaining that I ran my last truck on mid grade lol. Boost pressure has seemed okay but I’ll try to keep a closer eye on it. Any good ways to check fir a boost leak from a blowoff valve? Sorry if that’s a dumb question the raptor is my first experience with forced induction so im still learning.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmissions are shifting different, inability to spin the tires in nearly the same way, and a slower 0-60 by almost half a second everytime ive tested it. And yes I switched to premium fuel that seems to really be hijacking this thread.
Also are the suspensions different? I thought the change was in 19 because I had live valves on both trucks.
My bad I thought it was an 18 before live valve. Lots to keep track of here. I'd defer to FordTechOne's input over everyone else. Most will be conjecture (not all), but he is far and away the best source on the forum to help you diagnose. How many tanks have you ran on 91 consecutively would be my last question? We can't just disregard the fuel when we are looking at a performance problem lol.

OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
My bad I thought it was an 18 before live valve. Lots to keep track of here. I'd defer to FordTechOne's input over everyone else. Most will be conjecture (not all), but he is far and away the best source on the forum to help you diagnose. How many tanks have you ran on 91 consecutively would be my last question? We can't just disregard the fuel when we are looking at a performance problem lol.
I’m on my 4th or 5th tank of 91- over 1000 miles probably closer to 1500 miles now. And yeah I recognize fuel is obviously important but I went from straight 89 with the 19 to 89 then 91 with the 20 so obviously can’t rule it out, but it’s most likely not that. I’m just making clear that I have switched to 91 and did so a few weeks ago so there’s no need to keep harping on that or being rude about it as some previous reply’s have done.