Performance difference between Gen 2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yf22jet

Reaction score
Hello all, this requires some backstory. I had a 2019 performance scab 801a which I loved and bought new. With 30k miles it got totaled (only 6k away from finally modding it :( ) and I ended up getting a 2020 leadfoot 802a scab to replace it. My dilemma falls in that the 2020 just feels so much slower. Part of it is due to the transmission and part of it is due to power. For reference both trucks were/are stock except the 2020 has a blowoff valve installed by the previous owner(I got it with ~5k miles)

In terms of transmission differences the 2020 up shifts a lot quicker, it won’t hold gears as long, and it doesn’t downshift as aggressively when I get on it. The 2019 would drop from 10th to 5th when Mashed it while the 2020 will only drop to 7th. This carries through all the gears that it doesn’t downshift as far but the easiest example is just a 55mph 10 gear cruise then stomping on it. Overall the transmission just doesn’t feel nearly as good. The 2019 was the first automatic I actually loved with it always being in the right gear and seeming to know what I wanted it to do. The 2020 reminds me of why I hated automatics as I feel like I have to keep trying to force it and play tricks to do what I want and even then it still won’t. I know there’s paddle shifters but I prefer only to use those on my most spirited adventures as like I said the transmission in the 2019 was so good I never felt a need for them.

in terms of power the 2019 just felt like it ran better. I always ran 89 octane in it(I know I know it’s not the point of the article) but getting the 2020 it felt like such crap on 89 (I put about 2k miles on it with 89) that I’ve been putting 91 in it for about a 1000 miles now and it still feels worse. I have to work to break the tires on the 2020 where on the 2019 I could slide it on demand with a push of the throttle. The 2019 also just pulled harder from a stop like a real throw you back in your seat where the 2020 is more of a lull and then it picks up.

Is there anything anyone could think of that would cause this difference in performance? I hate to say it but the 2020 is really starting to bore me where as I always said the 2019 was my 10 year truck. Do the transmissions learn driving habits? Is there a way to reset this or should it have relearned in 3000 miles? I’m really just lost and don’t want to go throwing good money after bad ion this 2020 just to get the same experience I had with my stock 2019. Also To make sure I wasn’t just going crazy I tried to test 0-60 (I’m a numbers guy and like figures rather than just seat of your pants) and my 2019 ran a 5.2-5.5 usually whereas the 2020 has never gotten down to a 5.2 and has always been 5.4-5.7. Given these are me timing it myself so it’s not absolute precision but there’s a trend backing up what I’m feeling.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So in 2019 the '19 was your 10 year truck and now in early 2021 you're driving a 2020 with regrets? Guess that didn't work out. I have no idea why performance would be different unless there is an issue. The transmissions from '17 onward learn your driving habits in a rudimentary way.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a TCM reset so it can adapt to your clearly much more aggressive driving style than the original owner. Might help it feel a bit more lively and shift how you’d like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
So in 2019 the '19 was your 10 year truck and now in early 2021 you're driving a 2020 with regrets? Guess that didn't work out. I have no idea why performance would be different unless there is an issue. The transmissions from '17 onward learn your driving habits in a rudimentary way.
It wasn’t really my choice to get rid of the 2019 someone not paying attention at the red light kinda did that for me. And yeah I’m confused as well as I was expecting (and hoping for) similar driving experiences

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2018 screw w/ gearhead tune for 35k miles , my 2020 screw stock feels noticeably stronger in stock form than my 2018 did....I even made a thread about it when I first got it

Not sure what to tell ya lol

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It wasn’t really my choice to get rid of the 2019 someone not paying attention at the red light kinda did that for me. And yeah I’m confused as well as I was expecting (and hoping for) similar driving experiences

Ah, sorry, didn't know that............

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh didn’t read whole thing- both trucks didn’t wake up until about 4K miles

tranny does have learning algorithm....the truck wants 93, dont run 87, my 2018 ran like DOGSHIT initially w/ an old stale tank of 87 got better & better after each tank of 93

my 2020 tranny didn’t start acting normal til 3k miles

drive it HARD & let it warm
Up before ya do, it’ll start to loosen up I’m sure