Performance difference between Gen 2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
Oh didn’t read whole thing- both trucks didn’t wake up until about 4K miles

tranny does have learning algorithm....the truck wants 93, dont run 87, my 2018 ran like DOGSHIT initially w/ an old stale tank of 87 got better & better after each tank of 93

my 2020 tranny didn’t start acting normal til 3k miles

drive it HARD & let it warm
Up before ya do, it’ll start to loosen up I’m sure
My truck currently has 87xx on it. About 3500 of those miles are from me. I figured it’d take some time for it to act normal but I thought I’d be past that period by now.

OP
OP
Yf22jet

Yf22jet

Reaction score
You were speed drunk.

Your 20 is just as quick.
I thought that too that’s why I’ve waited 3500 miles before coming to a conclusion. I really started to take note of how the transmissions shift differently and how difficult it is for me to break the tires loose now. I recognize the butt dyno can be off but there’s more too it than it just feels slower.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn’t really my choice to get rid of the 2019 someone not paying attention at the red light kinda did that for me. And yeah I’m confused as well as I was expecting (and hoping for) similar driving experiences

I think you have an issue with your truck. There shouldn't be any notable performance differences between those two years.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you know that using shit gas isn’t good for the truck, why are you doing it?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you measuring the performance differences? Feel isn't gonna be a enough on this one, need some 0-60 times, fuel economy and some tangible ways to actually compare rather than just feel. The stiffer suspension in the 2020 could also eliminate some of the sensation of speed. And you should just switch to premium fuel regardless, save your ass in the long run or you'll have another truck you're getting rid of prematurely potentially.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the truck drove fine on 89. Actually better than the 20 on premium (91, 93 where available)

Forget that anything below 91 octane is even made unless you’re driving a rental car. That’s the only time I ever use that garbage, and even then it feels wrong.

Second, get in touch with Goosetuned. For a couple of grand (a little more if you want to upgrade to stage 2) any stock Raptor you’ve ever driven will feel like a ****.

Seriously, these trucks beg to be tuned, in addition to obviously using premium fuel.