Performance difference between Gen 2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for actually trying to help and not complaining that I ran my last truck on mid grade lol. Boost pressure has seemed okay but I’ll try to keep a closer eye on it. Any good ways to check fir a boost leak from a blowoff valve? Sorry if that’s a dumb question the raptor is my first experience with forced induction so im still learning.

If the valve is leaking you will still have boost pressure, but it would be lower than desired. If you have ForScan, you should be able to compare the Boost Desired and Boost Actual PIDs to determine if there’s an issue. You could also physically remove and inspect the BOV to see if it’s sticking open. Alternatively, you could bring it to a shop/dealer that has a high pressure smoke machine, which will identify any boost leaks in the system.

Also, note that if the previous owner was running 87 octane, the truck would have adapted to that and will not recognize the higher octane right away. To reset the PCM, you can perform a KAM reset with ForScan. That will reset all parameters, including shifting.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always ran both trucks in the low 40s on road. I air down when I go off-road but should I be running something different on road?
I run 38F 35R for comfort. 40 all the way around like the dealer sets rides rock hard IMO. Lower pressure would create more drag but honestly I don’t know how much it would affect something this heavy with tires this big. I know on an anemic 4-banger it makes a big difference in acceleration.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
If the valve is leaking you will still have boost pressure, but it would be lower than desired. If you have ForScan, you should be able to compare the Boost Desired and Boost Actual PIDs to determine if there’s an issue. You could also physically remove and inspect the BOV to see if it’s sticking open. Alternatively, you could bring it to a shop/dealer that has a high pressure smoke machine, which will identify any boost leaks in the system.

Also, note that if the previous owner was running 87 octane, the truck would have adapted to that and will not recognize the higher octane right away. To reset the PCM, you can perform a KAM reset with ForScan. That will reset all parameters, including shifting.

Just curious as I've read this on the forum and perhaps heard the same thing on another well known tech that has his own YouTube channel, so is another way to reset the KAM ok to do with our vehicles?

"
"How to do a KAM reset:

It's best to remove the ground first and replace it last. Next remove the positive, and then touch the positive and negative wires together to ensure that all the capacitors are drained."

Thanks.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Performance between a 2019 and a 2020 should be identical; nothing changed in terms of powertrain.

I would recommend checking the aftermarket blow off valve for a boost leak. If it’s bypassing boost pressure, the truck will be down on power. That can also skew other parameters such as load, which can affect shifting.

I’ll def take your word for it- but it wouldn’t be the first time a manufactured “sandbagged” the power figures a lil bit or made a tweak that bumped it up a lil on the last model year of production

factory freaks exist lol

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Id do as mentioned above. Or replace the valve with a stock or new aftermarket BOV. Otherwise you doing nothing but guesswork. Trucks have the same powertrain and the same updates for 19-20. The 801 if anything is lighter then the 802. Check Forscan for codes. It shouldn’t be like this. Right now that BOV is highly suspect.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always ran both trucks in the low 40s on road. I air down when I go off-road but should I be running something different on road?

On the road, I like 36F and 34R. 38 is too high, your tires will wear in the center. 38 all around is the specified pressure, but realize that assumes you're running at max load. When I go off for a week of camping with 1000lb of payload, I run 38 all around.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious as I've read this on the forum and perhaps heard the same thing on another well known tech that has his own YouTube channel, so is another way to reset the KAM ok to do with our vehicles?

"
"How to do a KAM reset:

It's best to remove the ground first and replace it last. Next remove the positive, and then touch the positive and negative wires together to ensure that all the capacitors are drained."

Thanks.

Yes, that method should also reset KAM.