Opinions on getting sunroof or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine without a sunroof.. I really never used it on any of my past cars. I also like to add sound deadening material to the roof to quiet the cab down in the rain and having a sunroof would make any option to lower cabin noise pretty useless.

My guess would be that it would help with resale some.. so that's something you should review if you feel it's important.

I really think that the resale argument is pretty pointless on any feature of this truck because by the time it is all said and done the added resale value is going to be pretty small. On top of that, if you factor in the value of your time spent review those features.. why not buy what every features you want and that's it. None of us are going to make money off the truck. So why not buy what you want?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered mine without a sunroof.. I really never used it on any of my past cars. I also like to add sound deadening material to the roof to quiet the cab down in the rain and having a sunroof would make any option to lower cabin noise pretty useless.

My guess would be that it would help with resale some.. so that's something you should review if you feel it's important.

I really think that the resale argument is pretty pointless on any feature of this truck because by the time it is all said and done the added resale value is going to be pretty small. On top of that, if you factor in the value of your time spent review those features.. why not buy what every features you want and that's it. None of us are going to make money off the truck. So why not buy what you want?

Claimed resale value is not a valid justification since the sunroof costs $1,300. The difference down the road might be $500, so a person loses money on the sunroof option.

The one thing a sunroof will do is make it easier and quicker to sell since many buyers will not consider a truck without the sunroof.

I had a similar issue selling a manual transmission. Only got a few calls per week and several buyers backed out because their GF/wife couldn't drive it. But the guy who bought it loved the manual. It just takes longer to find that right buyer. Same goes for a sunroof-less truck.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing a sunroof will do is make it easier and quicker to sell since many buyers will not consider a truck without the sunroof.

Yeah exactly my thoughts.. that said if I was going to buy a truck which is starting to get older I don't want a sunroof at all. I guess that's the point though you are shifting the target resale market from an informed buyer to most buyers.

Also, I find it hard to believe all of the people who talk about the resale value of these options are selling private party. I would imagine more than a few are trading them in on other vehicles in which case the dealer screws them with or without moonroof.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took my Raptor off road yesterday with the sunroof wide open. Zero rattles. Zero rattles with it closed too. Not that it is easy to tell since the KO tires kick up so many rocks it sounds like I'm driving through a hail storm.

Give it five years.

All that plastic crap has a chance of breaking every time you open it. If the roofs were actually made to last the life of the vehicle, then I might be more tolerant of them. You know, stainless steel, sealed bearings and slides- it can be done right, but nobody wants to pay $5000 for the "it'll never fail" moonroof option. So we are stuck with plastic parts that crack, exposed tracks, grease slathered in the exposed tracks that then gets dirt and debris stuck in it. A minimum spec design all the way around. I'm sure it's good enough to get 99% of the vehicles past the warranty period without failure, but even 1% failure rates is thousands of failures per year- on a part that REALLY sucks to have fail open. It's not like a bad speaker or window switch failure.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dont get sunroofs specially on larger vehicles, and specially if they are larger moonroofs, i hate nothing more than rattling

If you hate nothing more then rattles you wouldn’t own a ford. If rattles are your main concern a sunroof is the least of your worries. So get one and be happy, you’ll get rattles from other parts of the car well before the sunroof ever becomes an issue.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will you have the Starbucks Raptor or the Offroad Raptor?

It will be mostly a Starbucks Raptor but I am going to throw some clean dirt on the sidewalls to give it some more street cred.

Search hard enough you'll probably find issues on everything with the whiney peacocks around these forums lately. That said, I've never heard of a single issue that anyone has had with the moonroof option. If you're concerned, buy an extended warranty from Flood Ford ESP. I rarely open mine and usually keep the shade closed as it's quieter and less glare...but it is nice to bring in light occasionally...and on resale, many won't touch a truck without one. Others may argue it destroys the structural integrity and shouldn't be on an offroad truck. Bottom line, do what you want and think for yourself.

A lot of nut kicking in here! :Big Laugh:

Really? Another topic on this? Use the SEARCH button.

If you read my post I did do a search.

As far as I recall, there was only a single complaint from a G2 owner and that was because in final assembly Ford forgot to connect the drain tubes. No one else has complained about G2 sunroofs leaking. Of course that could change as guys beat the shit out of their trucks off-road and tweak the alignment of their cab. But that is more of a use case than problem with the sunroof.

I had searched in here and on Google. I found several instances of parts/tracks breaking. In hindsight I think the issues that turned up were G1, didn't think about searching just for G2 only. My biggest worry was that they might have rattle issues, I'm very OCD with rattles.

Thanks everyone :cheers:

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A sunroof that isn't there cannot rattle. Just like a turbo that isn't there cannot fai... oh- n/m you are buying a G2.