New Raptor as Winter Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TrueAthlete

Reaction score
So, ah, what do you do now that lets you buy Hellcats and Raptors less than a year after dropping out of college?

Also, there are plenty of valid reasons to drop out of college, but doing it to prove you "worked for it" and are self-made sounds ******* retarded.

To you, sure it may sound "retarted". We clearly don't have the same goals in life, or you'd be in my position at 21 not being a troll over a computer. My financials weren't part of the question nor were my life choices. I simply asked about picking a raptor.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Dude I admire that a lot, I'm from NJ as well and worked for everything I have. Never went to college and make six figures working for a major company and also have my own small business. Good for you, and yes the Raptor is one of the most fun trucks you can ever drive. Just do it!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll see you somewhere in NJ

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be glad to drop my instagram and you can have a look for yourself. Had a mustang, scat pack, hellcat and a Yamaha R1 and yeah I'm 21 doesn't mean you can't be sussessful at a young age. Parents kicked me out at 18. Nor were they rich. Just because I want to do something with my life doesn't mean other people buy stuff for me, I don't take handouts. Don't doubt a young person, because I doubt you'll find many doing what I'm trying to accomplish.
P.S dropped out of college 2 semesters ago on a full ride. I wanted to be self made and be financially stable because I worked for it not because a piece of paper got me there.. Worlds a different place you don't need a degree to make money
I wish all of the "generation X" that what i call them were like you. For starters i am "off the boat" immigrant and came here with just two packed suite cases. Nothing was given to me and i grew up very poor...To work hard and smart and better yourself is what the majority of the young generation do not understand. I am in South Jersey BTW.
The Raptor is the best thing for the worst weather. As a matter of fact i always look for an excuse to drive my truck when they say on the radio to stay home. lol
Do not drop the insurance on the hellcat even if you do not drive it. Call the insurance and ask them for a reduced full coverage rate if the car is parked and not driven, who knows.
Welcome to the FRF, very refreshing to have you as a member.

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

So, ah, what do you do now that lets you buy Hellcats and Raptors less than a year after dropping out of college?

Also, there are plenty of valid reasons to drop out of college, but doing it to prove you "worked for it" and are self-made sounds ******* retarded.

Its called America, get used to it. NO one proves anything they just utilize their talents that sometimes do not fall into a mainstream pattern. Stop being a hater.

Last edited:

mrmitchell

Reaction score
Rental companies use 25 years old for their rates scale, at least Enterprise does, I've always thought it was that age.

At one time if you were married you got a better rate even when you were younger. There were also good student discounts back in the day, unfortunately I was neither.

Mike

Not a good enough reason to get married.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the original question, notwithstanding age, financial status, or other vehicles...

The number one thing that helps or hurts a vehicle being driven in snow is tires. The BFG AT KO2 tires have the "Severe Service" snowflake symbol on them, which means they go well in snow. They are not a true dedicated snow tire, but they will go pretty well. The downside is their width: at 315mm, they may tend to plow in corners a bit or slide. A narrower tire always goes better in snow.

Otherwise, the Raptor is an F-150. Like most 4x4 pickups, it will go well in snow. The Raptor has "4A" mode as well as 4H and 4L like many 4x4 F-150 trucks, and 4A mode is definitely a great mode to be in for snowy driving. In practice, it works identically to how 4A would work on an F-150. You can drive in 4H (or 4L) in snow if you choose, and in these modes the Raptor mechanically locks into 4x4...just like an F-150 XL or XLT would (these trucks don't have 4A mode).

The ground clearance would help if you were driving in deep snow, but otherwise adds no benefit to snowy driving.

The Raptor does have a "winter" mode which a standard F-150 does not offer. It essentially dulls the throttle response and upshifts earlier and downshifts later. It also makes the traction and stability control more sensitive. This mode might help in very slippery conditions, but is otherwise a gimmick.

The Raptor has a locking rear diff, like is optional on a regular F-150...as well as an optional Torsen front mechanical limited slip...which is not available on the F-150. The F-150's rear diff can be locked in 2WD while the Raptor's cannot. The front Torsen diff on the Raptor could help keep you moving in deep snow.

In reality, the Raptor is going to go well in snow...just like an F-150 pickup. The aluminum body won't rust due to salt...but the steel frame and other steel components underneath certainly could. If you plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile, applying some type of undercoating (Fluid Film, Krown, Waxoil, etc) would be worth it.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the reviews I've seen that have actually driven the Raptor in snow say it's not great. Tires, in addition to not being an actual snow tire, are way too wide to do a good job, and the back end of the truck way too light. At least one of these issues can be pretty easily mitigated by adding a couple hundred lbs of weight to the bed.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the reviews I've seen that have actually driven the Raptor in snow say it's not great. Tires, in addition to not being an actual snow tire, are way too wide to do a good job, and the back end of the truck way too light. At least one of these issues can be pretty easily mitigated by adding a couple hundred lbs of weight to the bed.

Raptor tires are only about 1.5" wider than your average F-150 tire. They are snowflake rated, which most F-150 tires are not (for instance, the ubiquitous Wrangler RSA).

My experience is that a crew cab short bed F-150 goes remarkably well in snow, even in 2WD on stick tires. My comparison is a 2016 F-150 Crew 4x4 2.7L compared to my 2017 F-350 Crew long bed diesel 4x4. The F-150 was running stock tires and my Super Duty was running dedicated Nokian Hakka LT2 tires. I couldn't make it out of the end of the street (slight uphill to main road) in 2WD in the Super Duty, while the F-150 came out every time in 2wD without issue.

Weight distribution is getting to be less of an issue. In the old days, you'd have a regular cab pickup with an 8' bed. There'd be a big lump of detroit iron block V8 under the hood, and not much weight with the long bed. Nowadays, the heavy 4-door luxury cabin is basically sitting right in the middle, and the aluminum EcoBoost engines are smaller and lighter. The rear axles are as heavy as they've ever been, as are trailer hitch assemblies, spare tires, and larger fuel tanks.

I expect the Raptor will do very well.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1.5" isn't a small amount, and while electronics, suspension and tire technology have made it possible to make the most out of the traction you do have, you're still bound by the laws of physics. One just needs to do a youtube video on "ford raptor snow" to get an idea.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1.5" isn't a small amount, and while electronics, suspension and tire technology have made it possible to make the most out of the traction you do have, you're still bound by the laws of physics. One just needs to do a youtube video on "ford raptor snow" to get an idea.

If you don't like the KO2s on snow, do what everyone else does with a high performance vehicle and buy a dedicated set of snow tires and rims.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 35x12.5x18 KO2's on my 2016 King Ranch. Snow performance was just fine. I think we're arguing about nothing. We'll find out soon enough! I plan on using mine extensively in winter, hauling snowmobiles up mountain roads that sometimes are not plowed. I love driving in snow, can't wait to see how this truck does.