MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the gearhead tuning. Fact I've never really heard of them. I'm assuming with a one tune does all that is just basically a multiplier of what the factor tune would normally do?

Jeff I don't remember which tune you ended up with. Is it the MPT. Do you just have a tranny tune or engine and tranny?

I currently have several tunes from MPT. All said and done, the one I run on a daily basis is their 93PRX with transmission tuning which I had them modify to use all of the stock shift callibrations with only the factory setting which caused the skip shifts altered. This tune has all of the power of their 93PRX tune, but clips off the shifts just like your stock transmission, but uses all ten gears. With the extra power of the tune, the lower shift points feel spot on for me. Their off the shelf 93PRX definitely has higher shift points for performance reasons, which many will enjoy, but it was more aggressive than what I wanted for daily driving.

The other major tune that I use is their 91PRX tow tune which also has the transmission tuning. Since they have been very accommodating, I am going to give them another $75 and have them send me this tune with same transmission tuning described above.

Last edited:

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gearhead tuning is stock on steroids. 1 tune does everything. Towing and any gas are no problem. Shifting is perfect. Flash and forget

Not familiar with the gearhead tuning. Fact I've never really heard of them. I'm assuming with a one tune does all that is just basically a multiplier of what the factor tune would normally do?

As stated in previous posts, I had the skip shift removed and love it. I have the callibration exactly as it came from the factory with the parameter(s) that caused the skip shift altered to prevent it from happening. I like the factory shift points much better for my driving style than the more aggressive shift mappings that hold higher RPMs.

Jeff I don't remember which tune you ended up with. Is it the MPT. Do you just have a tranny tune or engine and tranny?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I currently have several tunes from MPT. All said and done, the one I run on a daily basis is their 93PRX with transmission tuning which I had them modify to use all of the stock shift callibrations with only the factory setting which caused the skip shifts altered. This tune has all of the power of their 93PRX tune, but clips off the shifts just like your stock transmission, but uses all ten gears. With the extra power of the tune, the lower shift points feel spot on for me. Their off the shelf 93PRX definitely has higher shift points for performance reasons, which many will enjoy, but it was more aggressive than what I wanted for daily driving.

The other major tune that I use is their 91PRX tow tune which also has the transmission tuning. Since they have been very accommodating, I am going to give them another $75 and have them send me this tune with same transmission tuning described above.

This sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for. I don't like Sport mode where it hangs in gear so long and runs at such high RPM's. Also cruising speeds its always in a gear or so lower than what stock mode is.

Any other performance mods to the truck?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

This sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for. I don't like Sport mode where it hangs in gear so long and runs at such high RPM's. Also cruising speeds its always in a gear or so lower than what stock mode is.

Any other performance mods to the truck?

Not sure that I would consider it a performance mod, but I have the Corsa Xtreme exhaust (muffler and resonator delete).

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
https://www.ghtuning.com

I bought the 5 star tune. They never came out with a tune for the tuner I bought. I bought the mpt tune. Ran it for a couple hundred miles. It was the 91 prx that I was running. The gear head tune has been in for 8000 miles, never modified. And I am not looking for anything else. Plug and play and forget. The plugs were changed, and I am running the Ford touring exhaust with fake engine turned off. As well I have the 170 thermostat. The mileage has not changed from stock. If you beat up on it you can get 12. If you cruise under 60 you can get 20. These mileage figures are according to dash readout. It suits me not to have to reflash to hook onto a trailer, or put in a tank of regular if that is all you can find. I usually run 91 octane , non ethanol. The mpt is a good tune, but not for me

Last edited:

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure that I would consider it a performance mod, but I have the Corsa Xtreme exhaust (muffler and resonator delete).

https://www.ghtuning.com

I bought the 5 star tune. They never came out with a tune for the tuner I bought. I bought the mpt tune. Ran it for a couple hundred miles. It was the 91 prx that I was running. The gear head tune has been in for 8000 miles, never modified. And I am not looking for anything else. Plug and play and forget. The plugs were changed, and I am running the Ford touring exhaust with fake engine turned off. As well I have the 170 thermostat. The mileage has not changed from stock. If you beat up on it you can get 12. If you cruise under 60 you can get 20. These mileage figures are according to dash readout. It suits me not to have to reflash to hook onto a trailer, or put in a tank of regular if that is all you can find. I usually run 91 octane , non ethanol. The mpt is a good tune, but not for me

Good info from both of you. Thanks!!

dewalt you switched away from the MPT tune pretty quick. Any particular reason? Curious when you did the MPT tune? Sounds like they've done several improvements over the last 6 months.

What do you feel SOTP difference is between your MPT tune and the gearhead? I'm assuming you haven't dynoed or done and drag strip times.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you're saying don't have them remove the skip shift?

When I'm in sport mode and accelerate hard off the line (which I don't do very often) I love the quick shifting through all of the gears. Does their program with the skip shift removed make those shifts harsh? Is that what you don't like about the skip shift removed?

What happens is... if you are easing thru an intersection and you back off the gas as the truck is about to shift to second you get a clunky shift. I drive in the city lots and it happens all the time. If you are pulling away quick it doesnt happen. I will be asking them to put the 1-3 skip back in. It will only happen when pulling away slowly.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am into drivability and longevity . Gearhead fits for that. Mpt is good, but I do not like flashing. I thought the mpt was too agresive for the long term. I am probably wrong as lots of guys are doing good with them.. no I do not race. Daily driver. Gearhead and mpt use the same tuner, so it was a small cost to try gearhead

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have run every tune that I am aware of as being available via email for the raptor.

Gearhead is a very mild tune. It shifts great. It feels very similar to stock.

Gearhead 0-60 is in the range of 5.1 seconds
MPt 93PRX I average around 4.2-4.3 seconds.

In terms of raw power there is no other tune that has come close. You’ll shred your tires with an MPT tune.

All comes down to what you want in life.

Last edited:

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am into drivability and longevity . Gearhead fits for that. Mpt is good, but I do not like flashing. I thought the mpt was too agresive for the long term. I am probably wrong as lots of guys are doing good with them.. no I do not race. Daily driver. Gearhead and mpt use the same tuner, so it was a small cost to try gearhead

I have run every tune that I am aware of as being available via email for the raptor.

Gearhead is a very mild tune. It shifts great. It feels very similar to stock.

Gearhead 0-60 is in the range of 5.1 seconds
MPt 93PRX I average around 4.2-4.3 seconds.

In terms of raw power their is no other tune that has come close. You’ll shred your tires with an MPT tune.

All comes down to what you want in life.

Appreciate the info guys!

I actually drive pretty tame most of the time. However every now and do enjoy hammering on it and feeling the power. So it sounds like the MPT tune especially with the versatility of 3 tune options may be my most suitable setup.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious I saw on the ecoboost forum that MPT is a sponsor and offers or offered a discount to forum members. Anyone know if they do that here?