Looking for Easy but Scenic Colorado Trails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of it.

Holy shit. Casa Bonita was a must-visit on any family trip. Didn’t know they closed. If you have kids, have to take them there. I have memories of my parents taking us there and loving it. Not too cheesy.

To OP:

Best bet is to get OnX Off-road or Gaia GPS and start looking at forest service roads for the area you want. The best off-road trails are in the San Juan’s (views, accessibility, frequency used).

You could do Imogene Pass part way from Telluride and see some of the old mining buildings. Just be aware they are some very tight sections for a Raptor…with a high elevation drop given for a mistake made. Ophir Pass would be excellent for what you want to do.

Also: still a little further out, but RimRocker Trail starting at Montrose. The first two legs of that trail, I love to open it up (Baja mode) and tear through.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casa Bonita was the coolest restaurant for kids growing up in the early 90’s. At least it was for non-local kids who only got to visit once or twice a year during ski trips.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds fun. Not sure when I’m going out, probably late July.

southof30A

Reaction score
Have you looked at Weston Pass? From south of Fairplay to south of Leadville. Easy drive, lots of little stops, bring a lunch, little streams for the bugger to play in. https://www.uncovercolorado.com/activities/weston-pass/

If you want to air out the Raptor a bit, head up into Wyoming for some high speed off-road dirt. (What the Raptor is reall at home on...). Go north of Rawlins on 287 to Lamont and then pick up the dirt heading west. Look out for wild horses.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I think they're some apps which allow you to enter the size of your vehicle and then show you the appropriate trails.

They also sell books on Amazon for various states.

Don't forget plenty of water, first aid kit, etc. and use an app like already mentioned.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like im making a quick trip to lander wyoming this weekend. your trip include going north? you can join us. like @HORN HIGH ACES said, not much in colorado where you can really run the truck.
I haven't considered Wyoming much, but there are some youtube videos that make it look pretty amazing.

Grack1

Reaction score
If you prefer a scenic drive with occasional short walks, the San Juan Skyway is a great option. It's a stunning mountain loop that takes you through the San Juan Mountains, with several pull-off points for short hikes and photo opportunities.
Remember to check trail conditions and regulations before heading out, and be prepared with appropriate gear and clothing for changing weather conditions. Additionally, practice Leave No Trace principles to help preserve these beautiful natural areas for future generations.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some pretty good trails around Boulder I've done, nothing too sketchy.