Looking for Easy but Scenic Colorado Trails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations for the top 2 or 3 scenic trails around mid-Colorado (Vail, Breckenridge, etc.) or close enough to for a daytrip back. Ideally easy trails suitable for a less-adventurous wife and 3 year old. (I know they all have shelf roads, but nothing technical like Black Bear type shelf roads)

I'd like to find a trail that leads to abandoned mines, mild river crossings, ghost towns, or similar. Best "bang for your buck" type trail ideas for a last-minute trip. I realize there is search button, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for, or the thread was fairly aged.

tabvette

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like there are none since none of our Western friends bothered to respond. Or they are keeping all the trails to themselves. I bet the Bunman could come up with a few.

Viewsflores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good post I’m also looking for trails I will in Colorado in august for about 2 weeks. Planning on off-roading a little. Finally put my truck to use

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, there isn't really anything good for a Raptor in CO along I-70, but maybe others know of something. Narrow, steep, switch backs...no thanks.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The times I've been out crawling in Colorado, the trails have been pretty narrow. Usually I go out to Utah. Or Nevada. Both are cool. The red rock desert is in a class by itself. I really only use 4L for getting to cool places these days, not as an end in itself.

There's some really easy stuff like Engineer Pass, Ophir Pass, and Imogene Pass that are pretty wide. But they're down in the San Juans. Big snow year though, so the high passes might not open for a while. You should check. I haven't done any of the passes in the I-70 corridor or north.

If you walked the last mile or so, the trail to Holy Cross City was somewhat reasonable thirty five years ago. :) If you drive the last mile, it's not at all reasonable. HCC is a cool ghost town and you can watch the Jeeps winching themselves out of the bog or navigating the giant boulders .... It was crowded back then. It's probably a zoo now. Not recommended.

I remember doing Lincoln Gulch near Aspen back in the same era. There was a really cool hike up there, but other than that, the memory is dim. Stock '85 Toyota had no problems.

From Colorado Springs, a scenic route, abeit passable by a Prius, would be Old Stage to Gold Camp, a stop in Victor, Phantom Canyon(highway 67) to Canon City, with maybe a stop at Royal Gorge, back up Shelf Road to Cripple Creek, north on pavement to highway 24 and back down into town. With extra time, you could take Rampart Range Road from Woodland Park down to Garden of the Gods or up to the foothills above Denver. I know this isn't much help, but Colorado is so crowded now that I really don't go anywhere except the southwestern corner of the state and my focus is hiking, not driving.

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the previous Breckenridge trail thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/breckenridge-co-trail-suggestions.85022/#post-1649632 Still lots of snow in the passes. The tunnel near the top of Rollins pass has been collapsed for a long time. If you stay in Breckenridge Boreas pass is your best bet. Family friendly. Easy, wide and scenic. Train engine at the park in town. More train cars at the top. Round house in Como. Georgia pass is easy on the southpark side but narrow on the Breckenridge side. Not difficult but not much room to pass. Most of the high passes will probably open late this year. As always weekdays are best and early start is better to miss the afternoon thunderstorms. Blizzard conditions on Pikes peak last week.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score