Legal or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I happen to know since a CHP officer read it out the vehicle code book to me on the side of the road. "Off road lights must be covered and unplugged while the vehicle is operating on a public street or highway. Removal of fuse is not considered unplugged. Light covers may not be red or blue facing forward. Amber fog lights shall not be mounted 18 inches or more above the pavement. " The officer was very nice about it and I think he thought I was some kid until he got to the door. When he first approached the car I was pleasant as could be and told him I think your wrong officer. And so out came the book so we could read it together... I told him I would fix this infraction and take care of it right away.. He let me go and said just get it done and have a nice day... So I know for sure 100% if they are not unplugged and covered it is a vehicle code violation in Commiefornia...

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Technically it is one light. It's above the hight limit for uncovered lights and would require to be covered.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

In VA its not about height, if there is no DOT marking on the light it must have covers on it. If it has a DOT marking there are rules about how they can be switched on, height, and numbers of them.

D

Deleted member 12951

Where are you finding these rules? Is there a website that shows you for each state? Would be interesting to see what my state shows. I have never had an issue with mine and don't even have a front license plate when my state requires it.