Keeps breaking!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know other have had issues with stock tires size, but those 37" claws won't help either with the stock components. I agree that the RCV should help resolve the half shafts issues for the most part.

One thing to look at is strengthening the mounts for the rack at the frame or cross member. One issues that comes up with the larger tires, power, and TD is that the forces pulling the wheels toward the inner of the truck have significantly increased from other MYs. If you are at top perch, the angles of the tie rods will push the rack itself, and could cause bending of the rack itself.

Rack re-enforcement brackets have become popular in the Hummer world, and so far have been successful.

I cannot say this is the cause, but it is what I have seen on other IFS set ups. I will also make the disclaimer that high speed running the Raptor is not something I have had much experience with, I am pulling from my rock crawling days.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this issue occurring mostly to those 2012 + with frequent 4WD use? Is it happening to those who run 2WD only?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
Netix

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
I replaced my rack assemblies with my own cash :/ when i first got the truck n went wheelin i broke the whole thing and they replaced it. They quoted me 1800 fornthe rack in toronto canada, called a ford dealer in detroit... 725 bucks!!

OP
OP
Netix

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Rcv's on their way! Ill like to thank em for the steep price tag thats ivr been saving up for ever!!!
Hopefully this will be the end of my problems

Banned
Reaction score
i dont think you will solve your problems until you do a SAS lol

you are hard on that damn thing

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is what I was talking about with the pigeon toeing. Think back to your old elementary science / physics classes and the spinning bike wheel.

The fix on the 3 has been to re-enforce the two piece sections with a metal clamp. I have not found the pictures yet, but the other fix has been to add another attachment point to the rack, bringing the number to 3.

I will disclaim that I am sitting at my desk and not looking at a part, but thought I would offer a couple ideas / suggestions for those looking harder at this. They may help, or may not apply to the Ford Design.

Attachments

• 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 9943.jpg
    9943.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 37

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is. I searched the internet and my service writer searched Ford's database and we couldn't come up with anything. If you need help let me know when you are up in Orange County next and I can introduce you to my service writer. They replaced my steering rack on my last truck with all the mods no questions asked. They love all the RPG stuff!!
Thanks Brian - We are on the same page, Corey is helping, truck is at OC Dealer as I type. The Poway Dealer-rip denied coverage since I had aftermarket components attached to the failed part, no way for them to be sure what caused the failure. One of the tech said that since my truck rides higher than stock that the angle of the tie-rod to the clevis put more upward pressure on the rack and that failure was inevitable, course he is full of shit.

Corey says its just a bad design from Ford, 3.5" of travel each side = 7" which is asking for trouble. Curious to learn if additional reinforcing would help.

I know other have had issues with stock tires size, but those 37" claws won't help either with the stock components. I agree that the RCV should help resolve the half shafts issues for the most part.

One thing to look at is strengthening the mounts for the rack at the frame or cross member. One issues that comes up with the larger tires, power, and TD is that the forces pulling the wheels toward the inner of the truck have significantly increased from other MYs. If you are at top perch, the angles of the tie rods will push the rack itself, and could cause bending of the rack itself.

Rack re-enforcement brackets have become popular in the Hummer world, and so far have been successful.

I cannot say this is the cause, but it is what I have seen on other IFS set ups. I will also make the disclaimer that high speed running the Raptor is not something I have had much experience with, I am pulling from my rock crawling days.

I don't see the correlation between the drive shafts and steering box failure?

As far as I know there have only been one pre-2012 with this issue. ALL the rest have been 2012 with 4wd use.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)
Interesting - must be the result of the Torsen front end???????

I just had my second steering rack replaced, this time (luckily) under warranty.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
RPG and WSI present The South Dakota Buffalo Run - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

Yeah, I think there are more failures than what we see posted up. Once, when my truck was in for something else there was a stock Raptor getting the steering box replaced under warranty, it was cracked. Yet Service Manager lied straight to my face and told me they never had an issue before.