Is this thing worth a crap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Fumota for the metal pan and will be using it for the first time soon. Don't be the idiot who bashed these because he tried to drain it in freezing temps with no start up and then complained about how slow they drain. I'm sure it will make life easier.

As far as doing your own oil changes. I've done tons being 50 and I've let it be done just as many. None of us here are hurting for money. Then the time invested to go to the store to buy the oil, filter, change it and discard of the old filter an oil. Or you could drop it off and have lunch with your wife then pick it up. The cost....not significantly less by doing it yourself not even counting what your time is worth. Not trusting someone else is the biggest concern and I'd atleast check the cap, torque the nut and check the level. Wouldn't argue either side. Obama could change his own oil, and he isn't a man.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Fumota for the metal pan and will be using it for the first time soon. Don't be the idiot who bashed these because he tried to drain it in freezing temps with no start up and then complained about how slow they drain. I'm sure it will make life easier.

As far as doing your own oil changes. I've done tons being 50 and I've let it be done just as many. None of us here are hurting for money. Then the time invested to go to the store to buy the oil, filter, change it and discard of the old filter an oil. Or you could drop it off and have lunch with your wife then pick it up. The cost....not significantly less by doing it yourself not even counting what your time is worth. Not trusting someone else is the biggest concern and I'd atleast check the cap, torque the nut and check the level. Wouldn't argue either side. Obama could change his own oil, and he isn't a man.
Well I do mine because I don't trust anyone at the dealer to do it. It probably costs me more to do it myself as I use the Ford Racing filter and stupid expensive oil... but, I only need to change it out 2x a year since I don't drive that much.

Also, it's always better to get the oil nearly up to operating temp, let it sit for 20mins or so then drain. IDK what freezing temps are, care to explain :p

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I do mine because I don't trust anyone at the dealer to do it. It probably costs me more to do it myself as I use the Ford Racing filter and stupid expensive oil... but, I only need to change it out 2x a year since I don't drive that much.

Also, it's always better to get the oil nearly up to operating temp, let it sit for 20mins or so then drain. IDK what freezing temps are, care to explain :p
Doing your own because you don't trust anyone else is a great reason, as I mentioned. Getting the oil up to operating temperature is great for several reasons. It stirs up any gunk or larger particles and warms the oil to drain easier, faster. This guy.....got tossed around like a salad because he complained about it when his oil was cold as hell. What did he expect? Can't recall if it was on here or the F150 forums. I don't go over there much these days.

Water Freezes around 32 degrees btw but being in Cali I doubt you see them much which I assume is your point, lol.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Jurassic era centipedes and monsoon season.

I was remote out at Pinal Air Park. I'm stationed out in VA now. I rode my motorcycle almost all year there.

Yes these forum chats can get a bit like the barracks on a Friday night.... lots of sword fighting :kiss1:
I pass pinal quite often. Have some friends that go out there for training.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was hellbent on getting one for my 17 until I realized the stock plug isn't too terrible to mess with.

For some reason my wifes previous expedition with the plastic plug was a PITA but this truck it wasn't that bad.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know how to change oil, and used to be a mechanic for several years. I just value my time more than changing my own oil. I do most of my own modifications.
This. Can I change my own oil and save 30-40 bucks? - Yes. Do i wanna then drive to the store and dispose of used oil? No. Take it to ford. Zero clean up and I can knock out emails and a phone call or 2 and its recorded and make the truck look better to the future buyer having all service documented at the dealer.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hellbent on getting one for my 17 until I realized the stock plug isn't too terrible to mess with.

For some reason my wifes previous expedition with the plastic plug was a PITA but this truck it wasn't that bad.
I think the stock plug is fine as well, but it drips all down the skid plate. I just want an extension with a hose.