Implications of not fixing Cam phasors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm at 90k, had the rattle since about 70k. I don't notice anything different performance wise. The start-up noises do seem to have gotten louder (I think) and more consistent, even after sitting for just several minutes. I have 125k mile warranty. Plan on having it repaired at some point unless I trade it in on the Gen 3 I have "ordered". If I trade it, will let the dealer mess with it at that time.
I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you don't leave this issue go!!! I'm assuming you guys don't read the news very much. This story is from a well-respected sister publication of the Washington Post, The Crap Wrapper. It is about a recent study done on the dangers of not replacing noisy cam phasers.

1644072049652.jpeg

Last edited:

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had these same fears. I decided to get mine fixed. I set up a loaner with the dealership a month in advance, and from the day I dropped it off to every interaction with the service advisor I keep repeating, "I am not in a hurry. But I am very concerned that this gets done right. Please put your best guy on this and let me know if I can bring him any coffee while he works." They did pull the cab on mine. Glad I didn't go see it. And I have to say, it's been a success. I did have the linkage pop off the shifter on my way out of the dealer parking lot, making the shifter lock up and go dead. A tech came out and fixed it in about 5 minutes. He's not sure how that could have happened. Luckily, that's been my only issue related to the phaser repair (3000 miles on the clock now post repair).

Docked Wages

Reaction score
My former next-door neighbor was the Vice President of Ford Customer Service and his words were, "I'll tell them to swap in a brand new engine if you like but there's no guarantee the noise won't come back again."

I've lived with it so far to 130,000 miles and it seems to have actually gotten better or less frequent.