Implications of not fixing Cam phasors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had a cam phasor rattle from maybe 10k miles to a current 80k miles. Cold starts it rattles a few seconds and goes away.

I did the ecu reprogram recall and big surprise, it didn't help.

at 80k miles, Ford will cover 33% of an estimated $3k job.

The Ford dealer:
-doesn't want to do the job
-can't really get parts for the job
-doesn't even remotely guarantee that it won't still rattle after they do the job

I don't have super high hopes that they wont messs up a few things with my aftermarket intake piping, catch can, behind grill light bar, whipple IC, etc.

Does it hurt anything to keep on keepin on?

I hope to keep this truck to 150k miles.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this exact question 2 years ago and many members pitched in so to sum it up for you, some had issues, some did not. I know that isn’t the best answer but there were members who like you didn’t fix it and drove many many many miles without issues and other who had “limp” mode, etc. Based on your last 70k miles though, seems like you’re good to go considering you haven’t had any issues so far.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just makes noise. Doesn't hurt anything. So you are good to go until you are ready and can get it replaced. The new design prevents it from happening again in the future as well.

Good luck,
DC

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m going to play devil’s advocate here

You know there’s a problem, and it needs to be fixed. Notwithstanding the collateral effects or rather the supposed lack of effects on the rest of the truck, why be the test case to find out.

Who’s going to want to buy a noise making truck? presumably, some day you will trade or sell it. Is it really going to cheaper to fix?
Once it’s fixed you have at least a stealership service dept. warranty on the repair and Ford has extended coverage on the parts.

if the current stealership doesn’t want to do the repair, they probably lack the qualification to do it right. Go elsewhere.

That startup rattle would drive me bonkers until i got it fixed. Prevailing wisdom is it won’t hurt anything downrange of the phasers, and I don’t know any differently. Just opining.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im in the same boat - I only have 33k miles but mine started the phaser rattle at 10k miles or so. It doesn't happen every cold start and funny enough, can happen on warm starts too. I have no valve cover leaks, no oil pan leaks (i have the plastic pan) and I have the same fears. The truck may come back with fixed phasers with other shit ****** up while doing the 'fix'. I'm torn. Truck runs great and have had absolutely zero issues aside from the phasers.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would make the decision before the powertrain warranty is up. I went ahead and did mine since it was covered and I happen to have a spare vehicle I could drive while it was in repair. No issues since. I was a little nervous about it, thinking that it might be the last time I really see her again. But she came out ok, and she still loves me, so it's all good.

edit: Take her to a Dr that's done this sort of surgery before.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I'm at 90k, had the rattle since about 70k. I don't notice anything different performance wise. The start-up noises do seem to have gotten louder (I think) and more consistent, even after sitting for just several minutes. I have 125k mile warranty. Plan on having it repaired at some point unless I trade it in on the Gen 3 I have "ordered". If I trade it, will let the dealer mess with it at that time.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat - I only have 33k miles but mine started the phaser rattle at 10k miles or so. It doesn't happen every cold start and funny enough, can happen on warm starts too. I have no valve cover leaks, no oil pan leaks (i have the plastic pan) and I have the same fears. The truck may come back with fixed phasers with other shit ****** up while doing the 'fix'. I'm torn. Truck runs great and have had absolutely zero issues aside from the phasers.
I was in the same boat as you with only 23k miles and everything running perfectly. I too was very hesitant to do the cam phaser fix because of all the horror stories here but ended up pulling the trigger on my last oil change. I looked over what I could of the dealership’s work, and to my surprise, it was like nothing ever happened.

Looks like your in SoCal so if you ever decide to the cam phaser, did mine at Cerritos Ford. 1.5 day job but no car rental.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also on the fence on that repair. I have a 2017 with only 18k miles on the truck, I don't hear the rattle , only a little on cold start and goes away. Got the notice about the cam phasor recall. I don't really trust the dealer on the repair around here. I have an extended warranty, should I wait?

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced. 2019, 35k miles. Runs and sounds better then ever! Covert Ford in Austin did it. Great to work with. Took about 4 days from drop off to pick up.