Anecdotal Cam Phaser Noise as it relates to oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I switched from Pompeii extra ****** olive oil to amsoil and had the same issue.

On a serious note as others have said, it seems like the oil you had was either extremely sensitive to temperature and became exponentially thicker than amsoil on cold start, but it really sounds coincidental.

You should really just get your phasers done
I'm going to, I have another year on my extended warranty... I'm just affraid they will fucksomethingup while they are in there. Truck runs great otherwise.
I thought I read Amsoil contains low amounts of Moly (Molybdenum) at least compared to Schaeffers. I always used Moly in the gearcases of my ATV/UTVs to smooth out the engagement.

Watching to see if your change back to Schaeffers quiets the phasers again as I'm at 75k on my early '19 without any phaser rattle (yet).

Nikhsub1, any chance you park on an incline?
Schaeffers does have lots of molly and when I initially switched to it I noticed a marked improvement over the other oil I was using - quieter and smoother. My driveway is on a slight incline but sometimes I back in and sometimes I pull head in.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another fantastic oil other than amsoil:

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK here is a cold start this morning - the damn thing rattles on crank before it even fires up...

Here is from this afternoon, the truck only sat for 25 minutes MAX. Never did this with the Schaeffers.

jhouse55

Reaction score
Just had mine fixed a few weeks ago. They said they put in the newer design phasers and made sure they noted that on the work order with part numbers. So far, so good after a few weeks. 2019 w 26k when mine went.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Been changing mine every 5,000 miles with Penzoil full synthetic 5W-30 oil for the first 15,000 miles and then switched to Costco's Kirkland 5W-30 full synthetic oil) and use Ford's FL-500S oil filter. Also had Ford do the TSB programming to keep phaser issues from happening according to Ford's TSB. I think it corrected the phasers pin parking position or something like that from what I recall.

So far so good @ almost 37,986 miles. Starts up cold without any noise whatsoever, I just hope it stays that way.

Bluto

Reaction score
Did you ever replace the oil filter? A bad anti-drainback could have made the rattle worse sounding. Also did you guys that have had phasers go out get the TSB done before it made sound? I had the TSB completed, still good in my '19, but only at 35k miles at the moment. I also turned off the start/stop as that can't be helping things. My powertrain warranty is up here in a couple months, so hopefully it happens before then or never.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Did you ever replace the oil filter? A bad anti-drainback could have made the rattle worse sounding. Also did you guys that have had phasers go out get the TSB done before it made sound? I had the TSB completed, still good in my '19, but only at 35k miles at the moment. I also turned off the start/stop as that can't be helping things. My powertrain warranty is up here in a couple months, so hopefully it happens before then or never.
Never had the rattle, TSB won't help if you already have the cam phaser rattle.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the rattle before I had the software update done... I've had the rattle for 5 ish years now.