Icon 3.0 Installation, Testing, and Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Been beating the shit out of my truck along with my quad up north, so far so good. No problems, i bought the rcvs but ended up cancelling my order. One they were too expensive for me and 2 the dealer who said he could get special price here flopped and to get rcvs from the u.s to here will be around 3k. Rob i found a custom cv place in aurillia ontario. They fab custom cvs for everything they even make them for tanks. I gave them 2 weeks ago my old cv shaft, the guy said he can make some durable ones for 500 a pop. He said ill have a hard time breakin them.
My trucks been in good shape not counting that my front fender has a 4 inch crack, broken drive shaft. Ive been babying my truck hahaa now i beat the shit ouuta the can am xmr

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think it stems from top perch putting the cv joint close to the upper angle limit.. Then once you add full lock turn, it starts to bind. Which is no problem when in 2wd, once you are in 4wd now you are loading up the joint, and it tears the cv boot up.
I believe the reason it is an issue with 2012 and up is because of the torsen.

(Ford issued a TSB/service bulletin in early 2012 that suspension is not adjustable)

The reason 2010-2011 on top perch do not have this issue.. When there is cv binding there is not the resistance of the torsen so the cv joints do not load up.

If that makes any sense..

-Greg

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Greg, thanks for your insight. Do you think there will still be premature wear when the shock is lowered? Just because the shock is lowered does not mean the travel is limited, right?

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so if the icon's are true 1" 3.0 inside, and the fox's are poser 2.5 sized 3.0's, what are the kings? I believe they're 7/8 also... :(

The FOX coilovers run a 2.5" Shock Piston due to the internal bypass holes. The Kings run a 3.0" Piston in the shock body. I am not sure of the shaft size though...

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been beating the shit out of my truck along with my quad up north, so far so good. No problems, i bought the rcvs but ended up cancelling my order. One they were too expensive for me and 2 the dealer who said he could get special price here flopped and to get rcvs from the u.s to here will be around 3k. Rob i found a custom cv place in aurillia ontario. They fab custom cvs for everything they even make them for tanks. I gave them 2 weeks ago my old cv shaft, the guy said he can make some durable ones for 500 a pop. He said ill have a hard time breakin them.
My trucks been in good shape not counting that my front fender has a 4 inch crack, broken drive shaft. Ive been babying my truck hahaa now i beat the shit ouuta the can am xmr

Netix, your definitely one of the harder drivers out there, thanks for always sharing you stories.

Do you have a post about your custom cv shafts? If not, can you put some more info and pictures up?
Thanks,
Joe

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Greg, thanks for your insight. Do you think there will still be premature wear when the shock is lowered? Just because the shock is lowered does not mean the travel is limited, right?

Humvee21 - If you order a set of ICON Ford Raptor shocks through an Authorized dealer like SDHQ whow you are familiar with her on FRF....they have the ability to what we call "choke up the shock" or install a limiting spacer that would keep the travel the same as stock or if you prefer less than stock for that matter. Keep that in mind, just something that can be done if you would like.

Last edited:

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
ill be putting up alot of pics of what ive done recently, gonna bring back my build thread.
my baby has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks awaiting a new drive shaft, ive been busy intalling tracks on my brand new 1000cc xmr.
slowly but surely getting ready for TRR 2013, watch out boys Canadians takin over