Icon 3.0 Installation, Testing, and Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just wondering if the 3.0 shocks will cause the same problems that Raptor owners are having on top perch? Like the front shafts premature failure, binding and the boots getting ripped up, or will Icon UCA and coil overs solve this problem somehow.

I think a simple answer is if you run the suspension maxed out in height all the time you will likely wear parts faster then normal, but we have had great luck so far in our recommended ranges. Our Raptor has around 15k testing miles on and off road and we have no issue to date. These miles include the Raptor Expeditions Creatures of the Night run as well. The Billet Uniball Upper Control arms would have nothing to do with this situation on this particular vehicle.

Components installed on our ICON Ford Raptor is the following

3.0 Front Coil overs and Billet UCA
3.0 Rear Bypass Shocks
Lower are Skid Plates
35" Tires
2.5" lift range

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It has been asked if these shocks will result in premature wear. I was wondering how can you prevent premature wear and maintain factory reliability by limiting travel to stock specs?

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap... no kidding.

Fo sho. It was dinoone selling them in the garage sale section. I bought a brand new RPG stage 3 kit off of him for $2200 shipped. He had several parts waiting to be put on his Raptor once the whipple crap was sorted out on it but he kept getting yanked around so decided to sell the parts and part with the truck also.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stock rear springs?

Stock Rear Springs.....we felt we needed to test with the factory set up and parts. Only gets better when you install quality add on's from there!!

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

It has been asked if these shocks will result in premature wear. I was wondering how can you prevent premature wear and maintain factory reliability by limiting travel to stock specs?

Ford has helped out by not forcing the CV's to spin while running in 2wd...thank them for that. While in 4wd if your ride height is set at a mid range lift or less 1-2.5" will ultimately be your best chance......running it at the 3-3.5" height you are pushing closer toward the edge of maxing out and pending usage there is definitely more risk of wear. I do not have an exact percentage of additional risk, but it will be higher. There are many other factors involved like terrain conditions, tire / wheel weight & size, the way you drive and I'm sure more than what I am mentioning, that will need to be considered when trying to understand how to prevent premature wear and the ability to maintain factory reliability. It's the entire combination of your situation that would determine the answer more detailed. Hopefully I understood your question correctly and this helps. Let us know if not.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford has helped out by not forcing the CV's to spin while running in 2wd...thank them for that. While in 4wd if your ride height is set at a mid range lift or less 1-2.5" will ultimately be your best chance......running it at the 3-3.5" height you are pushing closer toward the edge of maxing out and pending usage there is definitely more risk of wear. I do not have an exact percentage of additional risk, but it will be higher. There are many other factors involved like terrain conditions, tire / wheel weight & size, the way you drive and I'm sure more than what I am mentioning, that will need to be considered when trying to understand how to prevent premature wear and the ability to maintain factory reliability. It's the entire combination of your situation that would determine the answer more detailed. Hopefully I understood your question correctly and this helps. Let us know if not.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Thanks!

408RCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if the icon's are true 1" 3.0 inside, and the fox's are poser 2.5 sized 3.0's, what are the kings? I believe they're 7/8 also... :(

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It seems that 2012 and up have more issues with being on top perch verses 2010-2011... It might be something to thing about setting the shocks closer to mid perch out of the box.. Better safe than sorry..

-Greg

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Greg, why do you think 2012 models have more problems on top perch? It seems that the problem stems from the CV being at a more severe angle. Is the only solution to having the truck level upgrading to the expensive RCV's.