I need some help here! Nissan GT-R VS Raptor??!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apples and oranges.

The 'magic' of the GTR is power and on road AWD handling. The 'magic' of the Raptor is suspension travel and off road handling / ability.

The Raptor engine really isn't any more important than its leather seats. It happens to have the most hp/tq of the F150 lineup, which is more a function of value perception than anything else IMO - bragging rights.

Had the only engine option been the 5.0 people still would have bought it. The guys with 5.4 Raptors love them - case and point. Regardless of the engine, it still would be the most off road capable 1/2 ton pickup available.

Were I swapping in another engine it would be a H/C/I LS7. 680hp/650tq all aluminum goodness.

Last edited:

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Ford makes a pretty badass engine in the GT500 that could have been put in the Raptor. There's a few reasons they decided to put the most badass truck engine in the most badass truck!!

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MPG is easy to explain. the raptor is over 2000 lbs heavier, way heavier wheels, tires, and drivetrain parts. rotational mass is the worse for robing power and efficiency(mpg) plus the truck has aerodynamics of a brick.

power is an endless discussion but i think the most obvious reasons are cost and durability.

OP
OP
liqinwei26

liqinwei26

Reaction score
Ford makes a pretty badass engine in the GT500 that could have been put in the Raptor. There's a few reasons they decided to put the most badass truck engine in the most badass truck!!

thats right, I never thought about GT500's engine.. Do you know why they chose not to put it in Raptor? I am curious about this!

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats right, I never thought about GT500's engine.. Do you know why they chose not to put it in Raptor? I am curious about this!

cost plays a part in that. ford wanted the truck to be a certain price. i am sure the s/c 5.8 cost more. not to mention they would need a stronger drivtrain again upping the cost. also the gt500 engine runs kinda hot. thats part of the reason for it basically having no grille, max air flow. this truck is supposed to be a desert baja/daily driver heat and forced induction never work well together

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AS far as towing i think the gtr motor would have a hard time not over heating even with more TQ. Think about the EGT's that thing would making if it had to push a 6000lb truck and pull 7000lbs at the same time.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't know the shapes of the torque curve for either the 6.2L Raptor motor or the GTR dual turbo motor, but I have the feeling that the N/A 6.2L has a much flatter torque curve than the higher peaking GTR does. (area under the torque curve is more important than peak torque when driving needs come at most any RPM.)

For off-road, we are more concerned about torque over nearly the entire RPM range. It would be my guess that the much less expensive 6.2L has a greater area under the torque curve than the much more pricey GTR.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gt-r motor is a high revving, low rotational mass, turbocharged engine, it's meant for accelerating a relatively small vehicle to high speed under relatively no load on the bottom end of the engine, if you put it in a raptor and tried to tow with it, the bottom end would most likely blow out of the engine as soon as it hit boost, the 6.2 is an extremely simple engine, it's basically at the bare minimum of it's output, and it's still producing 411 horsepower, it is also probably the most durable gas engine on the market, and that's what it needs to be to be built for baja, numbers only do good on paper, they don't mean shit in the real world