Howe Performance new Power Steering System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one on order via Outlaw, Howe is just waiting for the first run of brackets to arrive. Really excited about this, ready to see our pump issues go away!

OP
OP
Chrisandalex1

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gotten severals messages since posting about the new Howe Performance Power Steering about what it does, and why it is important.

I have also gotten several more messages regarding the next step of upgrading the system - Upgrading the Rack.

So I thought I would try to address this, as well as open a discussion on the benefits of upgrading the stock Raptor steering system.

Let's start with what it does and why it is important. I asked Jeff Howe to articulate his thoughts on this...

"The T/C Pump is better then the Ford Pump because it has more pressure and more flow (gallons per minute). We have tried modifying the Ford Pump but the Stock design still has issues. The T/C Pump has internal parts that achieve the higher pressure and higher flow. More pressure makes the Rack stronger, and more flow makes the steering have better assist at slow speeds, like in a parking lot.

The T/C Pump is a roller bearing supported shaft, not a bushing like the Ford Pump. When you are spinning the motor all day long a bearing has more precision over a bushing design.

The reason for the Reservoir is to add more fluid to the system. This also helps for cooling. The filter is to clean the oil because all Pumps make metal as they wear, this is what turns the oil black. The Radiator cap design is to help pressurize the oil and condense the air that is in the oil; this will allow the Fluid to run more pure. You can not get air out of oil, but you can trick it by pressurizing it just like you do with Shocks! This is important because we are trying to prevent cavitation in the Pumps."

I guess what this boils down to is that with the abuse we put the Raptors through when we are out in the desert pushing hard is hell on the stock pump and rack.

I know there are a bunch of you out there who can chime in here and explain this in more detail. This is a long awaited upgrade that should be on the top of the list of all of us that are out playing hard in our Raptors.

I will start another thread about the upgraded Rack we are working on.