Here are the Raptor engine specs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DROPOUT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? 450/550 would be a more reasonable ratio.

These are the EXACT numbers I had in my head .... 450/550. Although i'd be surprised if its a clean break like that. I'd say these number +/- 2-3%.

I'd be happily surprised with a 470/580 or 490/605 number as well, but I'm not holding my breath!!! haha

If they someone get to 500 ... Which I think would be groundbreaking personally ... we're talking torque numbers in the 615+ (ish) range.

mberger111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those numbers don't make sense to me. Only 30 lb-ft more torque than the standard F150, but HP is up by 75?

That's backwards. The new 3.5 gained 10 HP with a 50 lb-ft increase in torque in the standard version. Pumping in another 30 lb-ft shouldn't make the HP suddenly pop like that.

The Raptor will have a higher redline, but max HP on a turbo will be lower in the rev range so that shouldn't matter.

Am I missing something here? 450/550 would be a more reasonable ratio.

I thought the same thing, but 550 Lb/ft also sounds higher than they would go. But the standard 3.5 outdid estimates by 20 Lb/ft too so who knows.

In a high speed truck not designed just for towing I imagine they can change some things to get more HP rather than TQ, but I honestly don't know much about how that works.

Having said that, I actually have never heard Ford say that HP will be higher. Just that "power" will be higher and then they go on to talk about torque so in some ways I wouldn't be surprised if it was 400 HP and 500 Lb/ft. I think you could argue that's still more power than the 6.2 although I'd feel misled. Definitely power to weight would be higher (16% is the number in the official Ford docs.)

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount of torque is based on many variables; stroke, bore, bore/stroke ratio, static compression, dynamic compression (in this scenario), rpm range, gearing, etc.
The amount of horsepower is a product of the torque: Horsepower = (Torque x RPMs) / 5252

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, increased HP won't be more than increased torque unless they're measuring it above 5,252 RPM. Which, as I said, is unlikely given that it's a turbo.

To get 2.5 times more power than torque, they'd have to be measuring at 13,130 RPM. No wonder the new engine doesn't sound like a V8.

Of course, it's unlikely they would be measuring peak torque and HP at the same RPM, but still...hmmm...

The only way that these numbers could be accurate is if they're able to hold the boost/torque for longer before the drop-off.

Making the math easy, say that on the standard engine they're getting 325 lb-ft @ 5252 rpm and that's max HP, so 325 HP. Then on the HO engine, they're holding boost for longer, getting 450 lb-ft at 5252, so obviously 450 HP. Possible. Unlikely? Well, max HP on a flat torque curve - i.e., a turbo - does come just after the drop off, so small changes could make a big difference. Perhaps that big assed exhaust is there for a reason.

Last edited:

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
Whatever the numbers are, they will be significantly higher than the last model. It's too bad it's only competition is the older model truck. Chevy and Ram need to give Ford some competition.