Help w/dealer options: Permaplate, clear bra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Hey guys, finally getting very close to getting my truck.

Spoke to the dealer today and he was asking me if I wanted Permaplate. It's a coating for the interior and exterior. Supposedly a 7yr guarantee of rips, stains, paint fading and peeling etc. Price is $995. I assume this is not worth it and I could mimic the effects for much less. Opinions?

That brings me to my next question. I'm considering having them install a clear bra, so I'm getting a quote on doing the majority of the truck. Obvs I could do without the exterior coating if I go with the clear bra. Anyways, the truck will be in Arizona and my buddy told me that due to the heat here, a vinyl wrap or clear bra may adhere to the paint after 3-4 yrs and potentially ruin the paint. Anybody have long term experience with a clear bra? Especially in a hotter state?

Thanks for any feedback

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a person who bought Permaplate at the dealer, I would pass on it. And my dealer was $495 for the treatment with a loaner vehicle for the day.

The clear bra I didn't do either as I heard it can get yellowish after a few years and needs to be redone.

What I would have done if I were to do it over again, is the Modesta Coating that some other people have done on this forum.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/modesta-bc05-coating-completed-52696/

Last edited:

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer stuff isn't really going to protect it that well, it's a way to charge you 995$ and give you a warranty on that stuff you are buying a warranty. A ceramic coat will go much further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Repurpose the money for an extended warranty. This is a must have on this truck.

Ya we know how you feel about the G2 Sasquatch lol. Iirc i was reading something about FloodFord and their warranties and that they're good and at a great price

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

As a person who bought Permaplate at the dealer, I would pass on it. And my dealer was $495 for the treatment with a loaner vehicle for the day.

The clear bra I didn't do either as I heard it can get yellowish after a few years and needs to be redone.

What I would have done if I were to do it over again, is the Modesta Coating that some other people have done on this forum.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/modesta-bc05-coating-completed-52696/

Thanks Beaver. Just read through that whole thread. I guess it's between the coating and clear bra. The thing I don't like about the coating is that I'll still get rock chips especially with the wheels I'm getting. I might do some clear bra, in high rock chip areas, and the rest coated.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Ya we know how you feel about the G2 Sasquatch lol. Iirc i was reading something about FloodFord and their warranties and that they're good and at a great price

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Thanks Beaver. Just read through that whole thread. I guess it's between the coating and clear bra. The thing I don't like about the coating is that I'll still get rock chips especially with the wheels I'm getting. I might do some clear bra, in high rock chip areas, and the rest coated.

Clear Bras suck in AZ get a ceramic coating that's what I'm going for when I feel like spending the money.

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Clear Bras suck in AZ get a ceramic coating that's what I'm going for when I feel like spending the money.

Do they adhere to and ruin the paint? Turn yellow? My thoughts were that it's always garaged and not a daily so really would only be in the sun for a few months of the year. Was 114 the other day tho and damn could've cooked an egg on the hood I swear

jawman

Reaction score
Don't live in Az but this is the 7th vehicle with a X-pel 10MM wrap in Pa. Have white daily driver that sits out at work all day in direct sun and no yellowing after 5 years. Don't plan on removing it so cant say if it damages paint or not but what I can say is protects paint from road debris especially in winter with heavy cinder and sand anti skid treatments. Scrubbing bugs off front never worry about scratching paint either. Not a single chip in any paint that is protected by the product, do have a few heavy stone hits that have marred the x-pel but nothing that has broken thru paint. On the 17 Raptor did grill, hood, headlights, side mirrors and full rockers. Had it on the 13 raptor it protects the rockers from front tire stone ejections. Happily paid the man $1350.

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I googled clear bra and hot sun; I only found this old Volvo with a clear bra that got fussed into his paint, started to brown, crack, then rust.

Im concerned about leaving a car with a clear bra in the hot California sun daily too. It's been 99 the last week. Arizona 120?