Got android?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know it is coming so here it is....why not an iPad?

I really like it...can't wait to play with it at the run...

Because with an iPad you are limited to what apple wants you to do.

ie no tasker app. There maybe something like tasker but no where near the same options.

IPad mini would work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so its been about a week, time for an update and lessons learned.

Functionality:
This setup is pretty slick. It is a VZW tablet so I get 4G pretty much everywhere I go. This setup can do everything the stock navigation setup can do plus, Pandora, Backcountry navigaton, internet, tapatalk, email, basically everything a tablet can do.

I have it setup to dim the display after 10 seconds of inactivity during the day time so its not always in the corner of my eye. If you wanted it to be "on" all the time its a simple command in Tasker. When it is not dim and full brightness it is super easy to see everything during the day time.

The actual stock radio is still behind the tablet so it still has 100% functionality of the stock functions. Only thing if the battery is pulled you have to reconnect the stock controls to set the clock.

There is almost no downsides to this setup. To connect the tablet you just press the sync button-"Bluetooth audio"

Lessons learned:
If you are messing around with the tablet and disable all of the functions that allow you to use it like a radio ie, turn on with the key and turn off with the key you must reactivate. Otherwise the battery will die and the dash will have to be pulled back apart just to hit the power button.

Manually toggling GPS on/off is the best setup unless you have a rooted tablet. Tasker cannot close GPS since in Jelly bean it is label a system function. This means that when the tablet is in ultimate sleep mode GPS is still running. I will root this tablet sooner or later to make it even more user friendly. If you are doing this I would root as soon as you get the tablet before installing anything.

With the tablet in sleep mode & everything off sitting overnight battery on the tablet drains about 3%.

Tablets and bezels to use. These are the only setups I would consider using right now.

Metra Bezel-Xyboard 8.2
Scosche bezel- Nexus 7 or any 7" but the Nexus is the best on the market right now

Nexus is a better tablet but the Xyboard looks significantly better installed due to the larger display area.

Mounting: Here is all of the secrets
I have had a lot of people as me how it is attached. I do not have pictures but I can tell you what I did. At work we use this high strength high adhesive aluminum tape for bonding automotive parts to ground planes. I will refer to this stuff as tape below and I used this for all of my mounting.

Remove factory control panel
Remove brackets from stock radio
Install a piece of foam under radio and rotate the radio so the CD slot faces up.
Use tape to secure the radio in this location

Place tablet in aftermarket bezel and secure it in every direction with tape.
Then fill in all of the missing spots with more tape on the back side.
Then apply more tape over the tape you just installed.

Reinstall factory heater controls, sync, and TCS/Hazard buttons.

I had to remove a bit of plastic for the charging cable on the passenger side of the stock mount.

Then enjoy

Future:
I might pull the tablet apart and install an external power button that I will place on the bezel to control on/off functions.

At some point I will root the tablet and start over with everything and stream line the process of turning on/off, plus you can then over clock the tablet to make it run faster.

Probably going to purchase a new bezel to replace the blemished one.

Questions?

Last edited:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because with an iPad you are limited to what apple wants you to do.

ie no tasker app. There maybe something like tasker but no where near the same options.

IPad mini would work.

because he wanted an upgrade from the current system, not going backwards.

Which is why Ferrari is putting iPads in their cars now, because it is a step backwards.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Compared to what the Android tablets can do the Ipad is a major step backwards. If you want simple/limited use get an ipad.

If you want full intergration and unlimited tasking get an android tablet.

FYI the Xyboard 8.2 in landscape mode screen is still 100% viewable even with polarized sunglasses on. Other tablets not so much.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

:crazy:
Looking forward to your write up after the dunes this weekend...

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
RPG and WSI present The South Dakota Buffalo Run - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

I received the new charger for it yesterday so I am going to pull the tablet tonight and install that.

Im not worried at all about the dunes. More interested to see how it does over the 3 mile 8-16" deep whoop section that is the TIN CUP Route.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you set up the bezel where you can slide the tablet in and out?

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could if you wanted to modify the bezel and have it stick out about an inch you could do it. I wanted it to look like it came from the factory like that.

But the way I see it is the tablets are now so cheap just buy 2 if you wanted it use it for other things. The way to get it to work flawlessly is though scripts via tasker. If my tablet doesn't see power from the truck it won't come out of sleep mode. I could disable that task every time I wanted to use it separately but its kind of a pain in the ass. None the less this will stay in my truck as I have another tablet anyhow.

Another great thing is the Motorola Xyboard can connect to a laptop or desktop if you are on the same netword to transfer files. I haven't had a chance to really mess with the torque pro app on this laptop. I might add some widgets to it tonight if I get a chance.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it! Sucks for those of us with factory NAV who can't get away from the integrated AC controls. I wish I had never purchased the Factory NAV option!