Gen 1: Locking Centre Diff (or lack of) Workarounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In 4H the transfer case is locked front to rear at a 1:1 ratio; it’s the same as having a locked center differential. With the rear differential locked in 4H, the only variation in torque distribution it between the two front wheels, and that is managed by the Torsen front differential.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With only having a transfer case (but no centre diff) and no way of locking it, the power will always go to the path of least resistance and spin away. It’s locked in the sense of mechanically 50:50 biased but it’s not locked like the other diffs lock.

Either it's a language issue or you misunderstand how a transfer case works. It is mechanically locked together. Ignoring axle locks for a moment, the front axle and the rear axle get exactly the same power and will always turn regardless of which axle has more traction at the tires.

No axle locks means you may have something like the driver's front and the passenger's rear getting all the power sent to the respective axle, but you will never get something like only the rear axle spinning a tire while the front remains stationary UNLESS you've broken your transfer case or have a clutched case that's overheated like on some Chevrolets and Rams with a 4auto function. You have a locking rear but only a limited front, so with everything locked you'll get at least 3 tires under power and sometimes 4.

Add in axle locks, then all tires should be getting basically equal power and spin at the same rpm. I say 'basically' because tiny differences in friction and driveline resistance, but nothing you'll be able to notice in actual use.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't been in the UAE sand before. but I would think I would Keep the rear differential (AXEL) LOCKED while off road. entire time. if you didn't have enough speed to clime the the dune. don't dig in. Back down give her a little More go next time. Your raptor is way heaver than the pic of your other cracker box you have. but again I have never been in UAE sand.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In 4H the transfer case is locked front to rear at a 1:1 ratio; it’s the same as having a locked center differential. With the rear differential locked in 4H, the only variation in torque distribution it between the two front wheels, and that is managed by the Torsen front differential.
Thats what I was saying. If Op was spinning just the front he has his rig in 4A or perhaps in all his sends broke some splines on his rear output shaft… shoulda listened to Nex and use traction boards.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did read the OP didn’t you? :rolleyes:

Yes I read the wandering, blabbering OP.

Again, you clearly don't understand much, if anything about these trucks. Center diff... Talking AWD torque split... Good luck, there's a reason nobody else is bothering to reply anymore.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@McCarthy It is obvious English isn't his first language. but he can't really learn anything if we just dismiss him. not to mention I still haven't got my A+ grade.

Last edited: