Future Raptor Engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really hope the 6.2 evolves, the engine has mountains of potential, it has the capabilities to replace the outgoing S/C 662 HP 5.8L in the top of the line mustang, even naturally aspirated, they just need to rev it to 9,000 RPM and unlimit the bottom end throttle opening, maybe bore and stroke it to 429 cubic inches while they're at it

sabumaru

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really hope the 6.2 evolves, the engine has mountains of potential, it has the capabilities to replace the outgoing S/C 662 HP 5.8L in the top of the line mustang, even naturally aspirated, they just need to rev it to 9,000 RPM and unlimit the bottom end throttle opening, maybe bore and stroke it to 429 cubic inches while they're at it
Displacement on demand
Direct injection
Would help with fuel econmy for the new fleet standards

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

DXgAHc2.png

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Says the guy with a busted driveshaft. I can tell you right now that I would never buy a Jeep unless they fix the obviously incredibly week driveshafts. And I certainly wouldn't buy a used one!!!

Yeah an 18 year old drive shaft with original u-joints on a vehicle that is routinely taken on the trail. Id say an 18 year run is pretty damn good for anything that’s been abused as much as my Jeep has been. I bought it when I was 15 years old, drove it like an idiot all the way through highschool. Kept it through college and tossed a ton of money into it when I got a big boy job and now it finally decided to break. It broke while crawling up a slick water to rock incline where it took a lot of go peddle until it caught traction which snapped a u-joint. Nothing out of the ordinary there and any offroad enthusiast would agree.

You don't even own a Raptor, yet come on here claiming your going to buy one and within 8 posts have gone to basically insulting everyone who actually owns one.

Weird, there are a lot of posters on this forum that do not yet own Raptors hints why there is a ‘Perspective Raptor owner’ thread. I wouldn’t waste my time on this forum if I wasn’t planning on purchasing one. I also gave you the reason I do not own a Raptor yet in a earlier post. Its because my wife who used to have a very well paying job at a hospital decided she wanted to do something different so she is in the middle of pharmacy school. Guess how much Pharmacy school costs? Twice as much as a Raptor does. Guess who is paying out of pocket in a now one income household? Me. Before she made the decision we were ready to order a 2014 Raptor (we were waiting for the release since it was late 2012) and pay in full with zero loans. Well my wife’s education comes before a new vehicle since we have 3 already. Guess Im not American because Im not neck deep in debt and I actually have a firm understanding of my finances.

And no I didn’t insult every Raptor owner by having a differing opinion on motor choices. I might have insulted some that have some kind of weird idea that if its not a V8 its not manly enough but that sounds like a personal problem to me. Sorry to rustle your jimmies and have a different opinion. Its America and there is going to be someone that doesn’t agree with you and Im one of them, sorry.

Why would Ford jeopardize it's premium off road brand (in which it stands virtually alone among top automakers, sorry Jeep) with a v6? What would be the purpose? CAFE standards? Bah. Screw the EPA. They don't make that many Raptors to make a difference anyway. But the ones they do make they're not going to neuter their image in an engine experiment. They'd be fools if they did that.

You cant compare a Jeep offroad to a Raptor, they are built for two different types of offroad use. The Raptor is for high speed dessert style driving with its long suspension. The Jeep with its short wheelbase, solid axles, and suspension articulation is designed for slow technical crawling where the Raptor would only dream of going without being damaged. The Jeep cant do any balls to the wall high speed dessert runs like the Raptor can but like I said they are two different platforms designed for two different applications. I also don’t want to hear the Raptor can do everything (yes, it can do A LOT, more so than any other truck on the market, thats why I want one) because it cant nor can a Jeep do everything. Comparing the two is like comparing a Dodge Hellcat to a BMW M3. The Hellcat will spank the M3 on a dragstrip but itll get its ass whooped on any roadcoarse. They are both badass but both built for different applications.

Im glad some people around here can have a decent discussion without resorting to personal attacks even when the opinion is different. Im also glad to see the attitude of some Raptor owners who think their shit doesn’t smell and know everything.

Now back on topic. Would I like a V8 Raptor? Of coarse, dont be ******* stupid. Would I buy a Raptor if they stuff an Ecoboost V6 with better numbers in it than the V8? Of coarse I would, dont be ******* stupid. If they do stuff a better/faster Ecoboost in the Raptor and it spanks all the V8 Raptors itll just make me smile a bit wider while Im driving it with my obviously smaller man parts tucked in my pants.

I said earlier I was going to bow out but since so many people have their ******* in a *** Ill be around to help.

Last edited:

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the nose diving raptor we own

lol can't blame the Raptor for that though, that's usually driver error or balls bigger then sense.

on another note I wonder how many people that rave for the EB have one or have spent anytime behind the wheel or under the hood of one? I wanna see a 4x4 f150 EB farm truck with 200k plus miles on it that's used everyday like a truck should be and hear what that owner has to say!

Like it was mentioned in one of the first pages BRING BACK THE 5.8, readily available parts and upgrades, strong block, the option to punch it out to 408! The 6.2 is fine for me though it could use some upgrades but really I don't see the raptor community as a whole wanting any big changes to it.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could afford a Raptor right now, almost ordered a 2014 but the wife and I decided to hold off, pay her student loans off, then buy a Raptor in full in the next couple years. I also want to see what the new Raptor will be so I can jump on it instead. Being financially responsible AND getting the new Raptor is a win win.

Anyways, I honestly dont get the circle jerk that surrounds the v8. Why does it HAVE to be a v8? So it drinks more fuel? There is no replacement for displacement? Yank. A properly boosted v6 can do everything a NA v8 can do plus more. Bimmer went from their legendary I6 in their M3 to a big bad v8 then decided the V8 wasnt cutting it and guess what? Back to a I6 but now TT. I have a close family member that owned both the I6 and V8 M3 and yes, the V8 was more fun to drive and incredibly beastly but I bet the new TT I6 is even more fun to drive.

With a boosted v6 you get fuel economy AND power. With a v8 you get power and thats it. A boosted v6 will put out just as much power as the V8 but will save your wallet at the pumps when youre cruising down the highway to your next offroad adventure. Its a win win. I guarantee whatever Ford decides to drop into the Raptor will be awesome whether it be the old 6.2, a detuned Coyote, or the V6 ecoboost. Its all speculation at this point but I highly doubt Ford is going to neuter the Raptor in anyway shape or form. Itll be a lot more powerful is my guess. They have a lot of good aftermarket test vehicles to look at from Roush and Hennessy.

Bless your heart. The street queens are the primary market for Ford now. Oh well something for everyone and Ford will make more money by keeping the CAFE numbers up. Sad but hey Ford went turbo---the new 6.2 engine in the 2014 GM truck's (Vette) is a killer...

BTW I have had or currently own the vehicles you speak of. Highly modified --- you need to spend some time off road before you pontificate.. Great that you have an interest but need some bonafides before saying what one vehicle does or does not do...

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not even kittens...

uma7e5uj.jpg

sabumaru

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bless your heart. The street queens are the primary market for Ford now. Oh well something for everyone and Ford will make more money by keeping the CAFE numbers up. Sad but hey Ford went turbo---the new 6.2 engine in the 2014 GM truck's (Vette) is a killer...

BTW I have had or currently own the vehicles you speak of. Highly modified --- you need to spend some time off road before you pontificate.. Great that you have an interest but need some bonafides before saying what one vehicle does or does not do...

My peugeot 306 SW will beat a raptor anyday

On fuel milage...;)
But hell if i had a raptor i wouldn't give a shizzle about that

If i had a 2016 raptor with an EB that wouldn't do at stock
I would start tuning and tweaking till it was performance to my specs